ESA backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backpay

Newfiesmum
Newfiesmum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I have an adult son who is mentally disabled and I've only just realised that he is receiving ESA. I handle his money via internet banking and I have Power of Attorney, but it seems his disability allowances just changed to ESA. He usually sends me his mail to deal with as he cannot read.

I have been hearing about ESA back payments but I assumed that DWP would simply pay it if it was due. Now I have come across this forum and am reading about people claiming. Not sure what to do now, as it is all supposed to be paid out by April.

Any advice?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The underpayments concern those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA many years ago. Those that transferred across were placed onto Contributions based ESA and weren't assessed for any income related top up.

If your son did transfer from Incapacity benefit then DWP will contact him and send a form to fill in, as they're in the process of contacting everyone that transferred across. If you are his appointee for his benefits (not power of Attorney, as that's different) Then they will contact you instead. They won't just pay it, people have to be assessed because the income related top up is a means tested benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Newfiesmum
    Thank you. I think he was transferred from Severe Disablement Allowance. I have also been misled about this payment.  I don't think he's entitled to any backdated payment.

Thank you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Severe disablement allowance was many years ago. It was Incapacity benefit after that and then ESA. I'm not sure what you mean by being mislead and then saying you don't think he's entitled to any backdated money.

If he's claiming ESA now and he transferred from Incapacity benefit many years ago then DWP will contact him or you, if you're his appointee.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Newfiesmum
    I don't know when his benefit changed to ESA, to be honest. I only noticed when a friend started telling me about it and I checked. Anyway, if the DWP will contact him, that's all I really wanted to know. He will send it to me, as he always does.

Thanks for your help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.