ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Options
butterfly88
butterfly88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi this is my first post, I'm hoping someone will be able to advise me. I stopped receiving ESA 4 years ago when my Mum passed away and my inheritance took me over the £6000 allowed to enable me to receive ESA. I have fibromyalgia, anxiety and panic attacks....and have been living entirely off my inheritance, which is now down to £9,000 and isn't going to last many more months. I was always told I could reapply for ESA when this happened but I'm worried that rules may have changed or got stricter, and I may be denied ESA. Has anyone been in this situation? I was in the work related group. Will I have to go through all the assessments and interviews again?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

New claims for Income Related ESA are no longer possible because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area and it will need to be this you have to claim.

Universal Credit has replaced all the old benefits like Income related ESA/JSA, Income Support, Housing benefit and tax credits. It's a means tested benefit and savings/capital affect the amount you can claim, like your ESA.

As your savings are now under £16,000 then yes you'll be able to claim this (im assuming you don't live with a partner that works?)

My advice is to make an appointment with your local CAB for a full benefits check and they will give you the help and advice you need, based on your circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • butterfly88
    butterfly88 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you....as far as I'm aware my name is still on the system as I was told I would be able to resume the payments when my savings went below £6,000. I live alone so have no income or partner with an income.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you continued to receive your NI credits towards your state pension then yes, it's possible your claim is still active. You'll need to ring DWP to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @butterfly88, as Poppy said it depends how they processed your claim. They may have had you on the 'credits only', so you receive no payment but your NI contributions are still being made. Give them a call and they'll be able to advise you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.