I wish they could spend week in my shoes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wish they could spend week in my shoes

jaqs63
jaqs63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
I'm new to this forum,so please bear with me.And always feel like you can talk to me. I've been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks all my life,and it's been a living hell...obviously when certain situations get more stressful they increase in volume and intensity. I also suffer with agoraphobia. I have good and bad periods,but can never rid myself of it completely.
It's obviously caused depression as it all affects my life so much.
 But upsetting are there are too many sceptical ppl who do not believe you suffer from anything...I wish they could spend week in my shoes,they would never utter a negative word again after that.
 I when able to ,enjoy music..concerts being my main interest,books..movies,various interests...was very much into current affairs,but I haven't even watched the news in months,and used to keep so up to date with it all....some tv,as it's more yt channels now. And internet,as being at home a lot,it's my main source of info and entertainment.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Welcome to the community @jaqs63 how are you doing today? 

Thank you for sharing this with us. A lot of our members will be able to relate to you. It is not nice to have people assume nothing is happening to you, but please know you are not alone in feeling this way. We are all here to support you, please free in joining our mental health discussions. 

You may also like to join our coffee lounge where you may find other members with the same interests as you. I know what you mean, everything is online these days. Are you getting any emotional support, you can contact your GP and see if there's any services available to you.

If you have further questions, you may want to ask our Mental Health Advisor @MickConnon
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @jaqs63 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry to hear your suffering . I know every day is difficult and not easy to deal with.

You made one important decision coming on here and most important how you are.

I have mental health issues . Mainly anxiety and depression.  The main issues with any thing like you have is how to cope.

How to also find the support, advice and guidance to move forward every day.

Please can I ask are you receiving any support for your mental health?  Have you considered mental health charities .

Used this one last time.  Often might be useful in looking at coping methods and strategies . Get floating support.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

I know having the reassurance of coming to terms with any changes.  I have to share with you this doing simple things can be beneficial to your wellbeing.

What makes you the person you are.

Please can I also advise and add certain lifestyles changes can effect your wellbeing.

Such as news or current affairs.  Most of it is dreary and may I add is it depressing.  Effected me mentally.  Good to know this.

Use the morning to find feel good things to look at. .  When I wake up have music on .Classic FM on the radio.  Easy, breakfast in the morning does not have to be a lot.

That is something else to look at make small meals for yourself if you can. Make it easy and simple.

Happy to help . I have lots on this forum.  I have put on for members.

When your anxious and depressed last thing is food but I make and have to simple easy meals not a lot to do. Which does help. Another one is to have a fruit bowl to hand. Apples, easy peelers a simple snacks.

Cereal like Porridge or Wheat biscuits or Cornflakes give energy if anxious. So does Peanut Butter sandwich.  As long you not got any allergies.

With these cereals add fruit or nuts does help a lot.  Mental Health.  

Deep breathing and lots of meditation before anything.

Use the TV and web to find feel good programmes stories that help you mentally.

We have this media use it .  I do watch programmes that stimulate my senses and mind.  Programmes to make you think and be aware.

Build up a reference library to suit your needs. Books or pamphlets or guides on wellbeing, health your conditions. Plenty of them on anxiety and mental health.

Sometimes having that knowledge and education can help you through difficult days.  I use a lot of my own research mainly diet, herbs and spices to look at my health. Have the knowledge to repair if I need to.

Sometimes the Doctors do not have the answers. We expect them to be. There to heal and aid recovery.  We contact them and there are unfortunately not there or cannot get an appointment.

Meds are useful of course they are but looking at what aids and helps your mental health.

Have a coping box favourite music CD's . Favourite recipes or poems or words from passages of books. Have my bible that helps me.

Get a diary make goals small ones.  Ones you can achieve .. Put into the diary the day to be good to yourself.

I know I may not have all the answers .

Know educating and having knowledge can be useful.

There recent knowledge and expertise. Learning from support workers or out reach workers. Who often set up courses with looking at diet, sleep and anything else health wise.

Speak to your Doctor anything to help and advise you.  Looking at signposting.

I hope I have been of help.

These are a few of the things I do .

I hope I can be supportive. Your not alone.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @jaqs63, welcome to the community and thank you for sharing all that you have.
    I'm sorry you have to deal with so much scepticism. Many people on our community live with some form of invisible impairment and unfortunately will be able to relate to how you feel. Spiceman has provided some fantastic advice though, so hopefully you'll find his suggestions helpful.
    What sort of support are you receiving for your agoraphobia?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness