MENTAL HEALTH WORKER ADVICE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MENTAL HEALTH WORKER ADVICE

charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
I have encountered child abuse from a family member, who my family would rather protect, despite him being sent to prison for raping my mum and my aunt and convicted for my abuse as well. My mum and my sister both got him done over 40 years ago and myself 20yrs, but my family disowns for his actions. I have no contact with any family now. I was hospitalised in 2008 when my partner gang raped me and was convicted for my attempted murder along with 3 of his friends in 2008.
I also was a witness to  a murder in 2012

I have had to fight for mental health support as they wanted to sign me off due to targets. My complexity is I live on my own in my flat and I cannot leave. which is difficult as all the services for therapy that are available do not offer home visits, I have major trust issues which  are complexed and suffer severe agrophobia PTSD, so on and so so..... 
I only have rely 2 friends and rely on them  tremendously for support and could not live independently without them.

My only saving grace is that recorded on paper every phone call meeting ect to do with mental health and saved all evidence which has finally helped me battle through the right channels to get right help I need, but I have had to push for this.

I have worked hard with secondary care but there is only a male CBT therapist available. So they came to the conclusion to refer me to Look Ahead for a floating support worker and gain her trust to feel safe to have my therapy with the support worker present, as I need to feel safe AS MY FRIENDS HELP BUT THE TIMES CANNOT DO COMMIT TO CERTAIN TIMES. I am not sure I would be able to cope with a male CBT therapist but I am going to try.

I met my floating support worker with my CPN a week ago. I gave her some of my evidence to read but she just dismissed it. She very condescending. She just wanted me to sign information giving them consent to access information on my behalf. She kept saying you have to do a goal every month and something about if you don't work with us you 2 written warning and the 3rd dismissed.

My CPN tried to explain I need things o be taken slowly, but I don't think she understands my goal is the therapy and there are different stages I have go through regarding my mental health. I HAVE 2 AIDS MY CAT AND MY LAPTOP. SHE TOLD ME SHE ALLERGIC TO CATS. I feel I cant connect to her and she has broken one of my main things to my trust listening. Can I request a new worker I don't feel I can connect to her at all

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @charlie79 Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for sharing.

Sorry to hear what you have been through.

This is not good to hear from the mental health team that supposed to be supporting you.

I know we have a member of our team. @MickConnon_Scope I hope he can advise you. Give you some answers.

I do think you should  have a new support worker. You entitled to good mental health. Dealing with your mental health and the problems and issues.

I know if I was not happy with any of the things and aspects of my care. Make a complaint.

The big problem is this. That the whole system is buckling , over worked staff can not cope and deal with vast numbers of clientele, patients or service users. What ever title they give you.

Many of the charities and council services are either under funded or got over whelmed.

Have a look on line. I used this charity last time https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Have a look might be helpful. Remember you need the good support and guidance.  To deal with a lot of traumatic events and situations.

We are here to support you. Listen to you anytime.

I hope our staff member will get in touch with you.

Please keep in touch.

Wish you the best.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Hello @charlie79, and thank you for reaching out and being so honest with us. 
    I was a carer for many years for someone with acute agoraphobia, anxiety and a range of other mental health conditions and I know first hand how frustrating and difficult it can be to access support, especially if you're unable to leave the house. It's a constant battle to arrange for home support but then not always being able to engage with it as it's too much. Unfortunately due to increased budget constraints etc, this doesn't seem to have improved in many areas. 

I'm so sorry you didn't feel listened to by your support worker. You are well within your rights to request a new one, but be aware this may result in a longer wait for help. 

I'm going to tag in our mental health advisor @MickConnon who may be able to offer you some better support. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • charlie79
    THANK YOU EVERYONE 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @charlie79 welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. 
    I am sorry to hear what you have been through. Please keep us updated and if you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask. :)
  • Tra7cy
    Tra7cy Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Hi Charlie, sorry to hear your struggle, definitely request a new worker n such, their job is to help not intimidated. Remember now that there are people on here that will always listen. Best wishes and delicate hugs xx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @charlie79, how are you getting on? Did you manage to speak with anyone about changing your support worker at all?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • charlie79
    I am going to try one visit with her before my cpn visits. So at least I can. Say I tried and refused to engage. Then if I do need to change I have a fair argument to justify my moves.

• charlie79
    I want to say did not refuse to engage in last post. No I'm wondering with her first visit had to get relevant paperwork legally signed and not much time. Her next visit and my experience will be the test of keepor request another I can engage with 
  • Adrian_Scope
    That makes sense and is a really good approach. Keep in mind that some people don't make great first impressions and as you say, she had paperwork etc she needed to get through. 
    Do you have a visit with her scheduled soon? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • charlie79
    Yes home visit as I am housebound
  • charlie79
    this is mental health aid kirsti. Purr fect
  • Adrian_Scope
    Aww. How long have you had Kirsti?
    Community Manager