If I claim my pension pot (4000) Will this affect my claim to contributions based esa? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I claim my pension pot (4000) Will this affect my claim to contributions based esa?

sapotts15
sapotts15 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
If I claim my pension pot (4000)! Will this affect my claim to contributions based esa? I am in the support group and I am 49.  It is such a small pension but I could buy needed equipment? Thank you sarah 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sapotts15, how are you doing today?

Here is what I have found regarding your question:
    Your lump sum payment from your pension will not affect either your PIP or ESA.

However, regular payments will affect your contribution-based ESA if they exceed £85 a week. If your gross pension payments exceed that amount, your ESA will be reduced by half the amount they exceed it by.

If you are receiving any means-tested benefits such as housing benefit or council tax support, these will be affected by your pension payout because you are not entitled to any means-tested benefits if you have capital of more than £16,000. When you receive your pension payments, you must declare this to all the benefit authorities that pay you money.

I hope this helps, please feel free to be in touch if there is anything else I can do to help :)

Scope

• sapotts15
    Thankyou - the pot is only 4000 with no additional payments / something I opted for in 1988!!! It’s not doing anything and it will be of more benefit to me now I just get very worried about ESA ! It confuses me! I am getting it through contribution based but may be getting married and am worried they will somehow overturn my award! Have you any advice please?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @sapotts15, I believe it is only income-related ESA that would be affected by marriage as contribution based is on your personal circumstances not the joint income. It may be worth contacting Citizen's Advice if you are unsure. I hope this helps :)
    Scope

• sapotts15
  • Chloe_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.