I am moving. I need to spend money on repairs and furnishings. How to proceed safely? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am moving. I need to spend money on repairs and furnishings. How to proceed safely?

Lilegg
Lilegg Community member Posts: 60 Connected
I am on Income related ESA and PIP ( but not yet full mobility part, appeal next wednesday for that). I  don't want to lose money I need to do repairs and replace boiler etc in my new home and know I need to keep receipts. This advice is too vague. Is there something about this I can read somewhere? What costs and I allowed to have which I won't be penalised for. The advisor at DWP said 'don't buy a holiday in Barbados but you can buy carpet and furnishing, decorating etc.' Happy to trust this advice but do need more official written detail. If you don't pin agreements down doubly in this life it can be a mistake. advice please and thanks so much for being here. 

Comments

• Lilegg
    Just to clarify that I am selling my home and buying a new home and am concerned about the disregard of £6,000 affecting what I have above this figure which I can spend on essentials. I am told I can spend it but DWP are not usually this vague! It's unsettled me. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is little certainty on deprivation of capital. What is necessary to one person maybe a luxury to another. You can spend your money on making your new home suitable for your occupation. furniture and carpets, decoration, heating, wiring. If you have a garden you may need to make it suitable for your use but probably not a hot tub. If you drive then a newer car can be an acceptable expense
    As you have been told, keep all receipts and be able to justify the expense
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Lilegg
    Thank you. Its tricky to be worried about deprivation of capital issues but fortunately I at least have no hot tub wishes!  I will keep al receipts and also pictures of the moth damage in the carpet I need to replace.
  • Lilegg
    I write my replies quickly because there is an issue today for me with the site  timing out quite rapidly. Apologies for any spelling or other haste induced mistakes. (-:
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. You can replace all the carpets, which is reasonable but I doubt that Persian rugs would be acceptable
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.