Bulging Discs and back pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bulging Discs and back pain

koolpc
koolpc Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I have suffered with a bad lower back for years. I am 55 now and i had an MRI last year which showed up the bulging discs / prolapsed disc and squashed nerves.

I tried many different painkillers. Currently take ibuprofen and paracetamol.

I do get bad back spasms too. Currently in middle of one and trying to work also! I stand for 5 hour shifts which is painful. 

Pain management offered me Morphine tablets but i refused. Hoping to get a spinal injection next.

Back is getting worse and doctors dont seem to care! I worry i may have to give up work. How will i be able to pay my bills then?

What do you guys take for pain?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you asked your employer to make any reasonable adjustments @koolpc?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • fenfisher
    fenfisher Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Try to get referred to a pain clinic ,l have 6 injections in my lower spine which lasts a good time . Then I take tramadol and gabapentin which work well hope you get sorted
  • koolpc
    I have been to pain clinic. They wanted me to take morphine tablets but i said no.

Waiting to go back as injections was mentioned. I dont want to take gabapentin. Side effects can be horrible plus, coming off them a knightmare. I have tried pregabalin. It wasnt nice coming off that!

Work dont care.

Not sure how long i can carry on working to be honest. What happens then? How will i cope finacially?
  • Ami2301
    Are you currently in receipt of any benefits @koolpc?
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    had the same for 20 years now and just failed an assessment, so not working and now for the next 6 to 9 months or more have no income, haven't worked for 20 years now, but seems they now say i'm fit to work, Tramadol with a combination of other meds help me mask the pain, but not the stiffness and aren't a solution for long term use, as the side effects can be bad, like more medical issues, like holes in your stomach and IBS, which i didn't have before hand and quite a few more, depression and i could go on, but each person with a combination on tablet it effects differently, Morphine gives me constipation, feeling sick and sleepiness, which are worse than the cure, as no one wants constipation with a bad back, long drug induced sleep is worse than no sleep at all, as not only are you stiffer than a board when you do wake up, most of the time you lock in place and can't move at all, been there. most can be addictive so be careful what your offered, as no one also wants to become a junkie either.
  • koolpc
    No benefits. Currently working 22hrs a week in retail. Finding it very difficult.
  • koolpc
    zakblood said:
    had the same for 20 years now and just failed an assessment, so not working and now for the next 6 to 9 months or more have no income, haven't worked for 20 years now, but seems they now say i'm fit to work, Tramadol with a combination of other meds help me mask the pain, but not the stiffness and aren't a solution for long term use, as the side effects can be bad, like more medical issues, like holes in your stomach and IBS, which i didn't have before hand and quite a few more, depression and i could go on, but each person with a combination on tablet it effects differently, Morphine gives me constipation, feeling sick and sleepiness, which are worse than the cure, as no one wants constipation with a bad back, long drug induced sleep is worse than no sleep at all, as not only are you stiffer than a board when you do wake up, most of the time you lock in place and can't move at all, been there. most can be addictive so be careful what your offered, as no one also wants to become a junkie either.

How can you fail an assessment when you are obviously not well?

• koolpc
    Saw doc this morning. On waiting list for another visit to pain management. She gave me tablets to counteract what ibuprofen can cause to the tummy.
  • Ami2301
    I hope you don't have to wait too long @koolpc!
  • koolpc
    Me too. Thanks
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    koolpc said:
    zakblood said:

How can you fail an assessment when you are obviously not well?

easy, on the outside i can look fine, bent a bit in the middle, walk like ive ridden in on a horse not hobbled in, but apart from that, the pain is masked with the combo of tablets i'm on, so unless i wet myself or mess myself in front of the assessor which hasn't happened as yet thank god, i'm quite normal on the outside, no matter what i put on the forms or evidence i bring in, over the last 20 years passed 3 now failed 2, so back to tribunal, who tend to read more and look less, after 20 years i've gotten worse, but seem to pass off as quite normal most days on pure looks alone, tablets have given me 5 other issues with long term use, but what doesn't cure us, is there to make us better or worse is my motto, i'm quite a happy and on the outside quite joyful as someone is always worse off, so tend to look on the bright side and talk far too much, fill in the forms as truthful as i can be, stating what i can or can't do on any given day and hope they treat me as i'd treat them, with respect, but i'm sorry to say that doesn't last for long, and now i'm starting after 20 years on the system to know how it now works, you are honest, they lie, or at times some do, i've heard it to often now from others to know it's not just me, as there's good and bad in every walks of life, with some being more honest than others, seems now days you have to lie to beat those who lie straight back at you,. i'm sorry to say, and is why i've failed 2 times, as doctors and consultants tell me one thing each and every time i see them, i'm getting worse only to be told face to face i'm looking fine and fit for work, so it seems there only be happy when i can no longer walk and in a chair, then i'll guess i'll also be to fit and able and still be able to do somethings so won't get anything for that either, seems being i'll was my fault, not a failed and faulty spinal tap when i was 14 which damaged my spine and caused me the issues i know have in later life, and to top it off, while most say keeping active is good to you, for me it's the other way around, the more i do, the worse i'll get, so can only guess what would happen if someone employed me, on how long i'd last, being at times unable to walk sit or lay for any length of time in the same position without setting and going stiff as a board, but seems i have along way to go to be as bad off as plenty on this forum and in the world in general, so i keep smiling as what ever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger, and while some days are a challenge, others i just take a few more pills and sleep those away, life is simple for me, it's just a shame life's not such a bed of roses and so straight forward for everyone else assessors for one, so good luck in life and keep your chin up and thanks for the reply, sorry for the novel, as you can see, while my body isn't as good as it used to be atm anyway my mind is atm still ok, for now,...
  • koolpc
    What worries me is if i cant work. I have always worked.

No savings though, but, i do own my own small house.

Would i be expected to sell the house to live? No idea how it all works. Work is getting harder. My back is getting worse. Every shift my back is bad and especially when i go home as i have to lie down with hot water bottle under my back.

I take ibuprofen and paracetamol together. 600mg / 500mg. Use cream on my lower back. Heat.

Sometimes i just get a spasm and bingo, back really bad. I still hobble into work though as i cant afford not to be paid.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @koolpc, do you own the house outright or is it still under mortgage? You won't be expected to sell it to live on but you won't get any financial help towards mortgage costs. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • koolpc
    Outright. No mortgage as finished that years ago.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    If you do decide you can no longer work @koolpc, your first step would be to get signed off by a doctor. If you just quit a lot of benefits won't allow you to sign up for them. 
    Do you have a CAB near you that you could get advice from? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • koolpc
    If you do decide you can no longer work @koolpc, your first step would be to get signed off by a doctor. If you just quit a lot of benefits won't allow you to sign up for them. 
    Do you have a CAB near you that you could get advice from? 

Probably. Will have to check. Ta

• oliva087
    oliva087 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Back pain may occur from disk bulge. There are few common causes of creating disk bulge problem such as carrying heavy bags or other objects, long time computer work, maintain bad posture when sitting on the chair and sleeping on the bed, irregular exercise, etc. I am also suffering from disk bulge and back pain problem. My doctor gave me a few back exercises. After doing that, I feel no pain on my back and still now, I am continuing the exercise. I do not take any pill or pain killer. I also read many helpful articles about the causes of back pain how to get rid of it. I share a few helpful back pain resources for you below.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing these @oliva087!
    Scope

• koolpc
    oliva087 said:
    Back pain may occur from disk bulge. There are few common causes of creating disk bulge problem such as carrying heavy bags or other objects, long time computer work, maintain bad posture when sitting on the chair and sleeping on the bed, irregular exercise, etc. I am also suffering from disk bulge and back pain problem. My doctor gave me a few back exercises. After doing that, I feel no pain on my back and still now, I am continuing the exercise. I do not take any pill or pain killer. I also read many helpful articles about the causes of back pain how to get rid of it. I share a few helpful back pain resources for you below.

https://www.spine-health.com/blog/6-overlooked-remedies-lower-back-pain-relief

What exercises do you do for your back please? Thank you for your post

• Char1066
    Char1066 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Has surgery not been offered?  I would enquire about this.  My herniated discs were impinging nerves causing issues and pain.  The first thing offered to me was surgery, not drugs and not pain management, injections or blocks.  The surgery involved shaving part of the bone to ensure more space, so nerve no longer impinged.  This procedure is called a foraminotomy.

Brightness