I Need Info or Help Advice With Sheltered Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I Need Info or Help Advice With Sheltered Housing

Gerald
Gerald Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
Hi all just asking if someone can tell me if there having problems like the one I have I'm disabled and have mental health problems and after this weekend by ending up in hospital for the weekend after I had a blacked out and just by luck my nephew called round and found me out cold on the floor ended up having to stay in after my bloods for my diabetes drop suddenly and my blood pressure drop suddenly and this is not the first time I have blacked out so I have been trying to get a move in to a sheltered housing bungalow with the council as it as that bungalows are open to bid for from 55 and 60 and over and I'm 58 but get know were as I keep getting that the preference is over 60's so just asking if someone can give me some advice as to were to get some help with this if someone knows thank you all.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    I am 51 and got a housing association bungalow not sheltered tho. I was assessed as medical priority for a bungalow due to my disability. Took while to get one suitable tho as most old build did not have required access or adaptations as I am in wheelchair.
    I suggest contacting council about the banding you are in see if you can be assessed as medical need. My occupational health advisor completed a housing needs assessment 

• Gerald
    Hi janer1967 thank you for that info 
  • janer1967
    Your welcome
    Once my housing needs assessment was submitted my banding was changed allowing me to bid on bungalows 
  • Gerald
    HI janer1967 I'm in the Group B Medical priority and can bid just keep getting the preference is over 60's and i'm 58 so closer to 60 than the bidding that starts at 55 but still get the old preference is over 60's how there is know flexibility to the 60 rule gets me if my nephew had not called round and found out cold on the floor at the weekend  how long is it going to be tell no one is there to help me it gets me its like catch 22 no working it out 
  • janer1967
    Until you get suitable housing why don't you get one of the alarms fitted that you wear round your neck or as a watch that alerts if you need help. I had one and the watch device detects if you have fallen and sends alert out  so even if you are out cold and can't press the button you will get help. There are lots of gadgets out there to help you to remain living independently 
  • Gerald
    Hi janer1967 will look in to that I did not know about the device that detects if you have fallen and sends alert out  so even if you are out cold and can't press the button you will get help thank you for that 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    janer1967 said:
    Hi
    I am 51 and got a housing association bungalow not sheltered tho. I was assessed as medical priority for a bungalow due to my disability. Took while to get one suitable tho as most old build did not have required access or adaptations as I am in wheelchair.
    I suggest contacting council about the banding you are in see if you can be assessed as medical need. My occupational health advisor completed a housing needs assessment 

Me too.@janer1967.....I was assessed and got a brand new purpose-built housing association bungalow 6 years ago at age 65.  My wife qualifies as my carer but no financial help as she gets State Pension.  So far we're managing ok on our own without extra help but quite a few of our neighbours require daily carer visits.  It's good to know such assistance is available if ultimately required due to increasing age and worsening conditions.   

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    What the cost for the thing you wear round your neck plesse
  • janer1967
    I didn't have to pay anything it was all arranged through my occupational health the supplier was called Tunstall don't know what areas they cover 
  • janer1967
    I was told there may be a cost but never got any charges think it depends on individual need . I wasn't allowed out of rehab to go home until it was installed 

Brightness