Yet another WCA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Yet another WCA

fade2gray
fade2gray Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi,

I was already on ESA/WRAG when In January I received and returned a health questionnaire for which I was asked to attend a WCA appointment in February.

I then received a letter from DWP on Saturday 30th March informing me that, as a result of the WC, my ESA had been stopped from Friday 29th March and declared me fit for work and should get a job or claim UC, despite still having the same condition.

I made a claim for UC, submitting fit-notes, and on 10th April CAB initiated a 'mandatory reconsideration' for me warning that it could be a long process and could be even longer if taken to tribunal (I have yet to hear anything back).

Today I received a pdf document, in my UC journal, with the heading:

"Your Universal Credit claim

We need to find out more about your health condition"

... informing me that I'll receive another health questionnaire and possibly have to attend another WCA.

Is this normal practice?

P.S. wasn't sure whether to post this under ESA or UC.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, it's perfectly normal because you claimed UC. The recent work capability assessment you had was for ESA and you were found fit for work. As you claimed UC, then you won't be able to go back onto ESA even if the Tribunal goes in your favour. I'm afraid the process now starts all over again and you'll need to fill out the form and return it with all your evidence no later than the date stated on the letter (when you receive it)

Any new decision made will overrule the Tribunal decision, unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fade2gray
    fade2gray Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    So, are you saying that the mandatory reconsideration is a pointless exercise?
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Yes byes no one wins that pity they don’t scrap mr and just do tribunal
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    fade2gray said:
    I'd advise you to speak to your local CAB regarding that but the new work capability assessment will go ahead.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    fade2gray said:
    Hi @fade2gray, it's not necessarily a pointless exercise. If awarded ESA from the MR or at Tribunal and still waiting for your HCA for UC, you can ask for the ESA decision to stand for your UC although it's much trickier as you've been handing in sick notes and they're arranging a HCA. Best of luck. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.