LONG TERM SICKNESS ABSENCE / PHASE RETURN TO WORK / DISCRIMINATION — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LONG TERM SICKNESS ABSENCE / PHASE RETURN TO WORK / DISCRIMINATION

richp90
richp90 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
edited May 2019 in Work and employment

Hi 

I am disputing my managers decision to put me on adjusted duties as it is going to have detrimental effects to my continuous health development plan as it would cause a conflict of interest. As it stands now my manager feels I need to rebuild my resilience however after disputing this myself and no evidence coming to light that I require to be put on adjusted duties my manager has continued to go ahead with this plan.  A union representative has commented on the actions taken and I am scheduled to see an equality rep this week to investigate the matter further. 

The occupational health doctor, my GP and a psychiatrist has said that I am able to return to my substantive role but on days rather than evenings at this time. I am seeing a therapist at the end of this month to promote getting more recovered and able to work throughout the evening. 

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is going through or has been through this and what outcomes came from challenging the decision as a formal grievance for concern. 

Thanks in advance

Richard

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @richp90 welcome to the community, how are you doing today? I am sorry to hear you have to go through this, you may want to contact Acas for advice as well. It's good to hear you have some support and will be seeing a therapist at the end of the month, please keep us updated. Some of our members may have experienced this and can offer some advice.
  • RachelSB
    RachelSB Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Best wishes with it.  My experience has been I have now made three lots of reasonable adjustments and health and safety documents with my employer but they break them which results in me being ill and when I return there is always some form of punishment for me.  Kinda learnt you have to ride the punishments as a passive aggressive discrimination “in your best interests” paternalistic thing?  Trying to educate them is very difficult.  I think some of it is as if you ask specifically for what you need they feel like you are bullying them and have to kick back in some way to show who is boss?  Getting advocates in is the best way.  
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Thanks you for sharing this with us @RachelSB I am sorry to hear this, have informed someone from HR or an employment support service?
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @richp90 how are you today?
  • RachelSB
    RachelSB Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Yes, HR have been involved all along.  The employment support service told me that they don’t need to keep the agreements, depending on business needs.  That have I have to keep renegotiating with them when the break them each time.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @RachelSB Thank you for your reply. I see, I hope they do not break any agreements moving forward. As you said it makes you ill and that is not right. You may want to try Acas and see if there's anything else they can suggest. Best wishes :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @RachelSB,
    I’m sorry to read this. If ACAS aren’t able to offer much help, may I suggest giving the Equality Advisory Support Service a call on 0808 800 0082?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness