Looking for help with research on mobility adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for help with research on mobility adaptations

lulah
lulah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, I'm a non-disabled writer researching information for a client who provide vehicle mobility adaptations for customers with impairments. I wondered if anyone would be willing to give me some background about the challenges you've faced getting around, and how it feels when you find solutions to these problems. I won't be directly quoting but it would be really useful to know how we can best help people. 
Thanks!

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @lulah welcome to the community. How are you doing today? This sounds interesting, hopefully some of our members can share their experiences with you soon.
  • lulah
    Hi Antonia, thanks for replying. I hope I'm doing this right! 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello there

I recently applied for a mobility scooter to use. The application form is straight forward. I have a wheelchair for long distances as well as public places too. 
    What questions do you need answered? Feel free to message me if you need any more information. Before I got my mobility scooter I depended on my partner for transportation to places. My mobility scooter has improved my life to say the least. Is this for a essay or something? 
  • lulah
    Hi April2018mom, thanks so much for your reply. I'm writing a brochure about mobility adaptations for vehicles and want to make sure that I understand it as much as possible from the user's point of view. So, I'm thinking about things like how limiting it is to not be able to drive independently, how it feels when you can adapt a car and drive it yourself, how carers feel about having suitable vehicles, and how transport affects families. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I could literally write a article on adaptations and mobility issues. Honestly I don’t really feel sad about not being able to drive a car independently given that some drivers have poor driving skills and lack respect for other road users. My mobility scooter is enough. Our family van is adapted for our son’s needs.
    Instead of a back seat we have a space in the van for his wheelchair. It makes more financial sense overall. It feels good being able to modify a vehicle to suit his needs. As his mom I enjoy not being stressed out for no reason when we spend days out as a family.
    The motability scheme is a lifesaver literally. We spend the DLA money on a vehicle that is appropriate for our lifestyle. I hope this helps you. 
  • lulah
    Thanks so much April2018mom, this is really helpful. It's very interesting to hear firsthand how much the Motability scheme has impacted on your life and how the adaptations help your family spend time together. Really grateful, thank you!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.