Lost my motability car - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lost my motability car

2»

Comments

• Salamka101
    Salamka101 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Over the lease period of a Motability vehicle you, or the rather the DWP, will pay a minimum of £9,000 to Motability. At the end Motability get back a low mileage vehicle in first class condition. The whole idea behind Motability was that it should be essentially self-funding, dare I say it even profitable on a standard lease.
       Over the years I have bought a number of cars. I bought my son his first car, likewise my daughter.My wife, over the years had several. I know I could find and fund a lease on a car from other sources, in many cases as cheap or cheaper than Motability but the service they offer is entirely hassle free, servicing, Roadside breakdown and recovery, Insurance and annual Licence all included.
       Before DLA and Motabilty I too struggled buying what I could afford, starting with a Daf 33 that gave up the ghost after a year. 4 cheap cars and two lost jobs later I realised that without safe reliable transport I was getting nowhere and joined the campaign to scrap the invalid trike and replace it with the original Mobility Allowance. Leasing of vehicles was virtually unheard of before Motability and the fact that so many companies now offer them for profit tells you a lot.
       I am also aware of and opposed to the many dubious and even fraudulent claims made under the old DLA and abhor them totally. PiP however remains a crude imperfect solution which, in my humble opinion, has swung the pendulem too far in the wrong direction. We can keep tinkering with it for years but it will always be flawed or we can ask the government to look again and come back with something more fit for purpose.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello everybody just seen this.  I am receipt of a motobility car and my worry is that if I get assessed for PIP and then fail and then appeal.  That I lose out on the transitional period.  I what I mean by transitional period is that if you lose the car you get a couple of thousand to help you buy new or used car.  If you wait for appeal do man recon six months you get I believe only £500.  This is what I read.  Unfortunately the scheme is constantly changing.  The problem is challenging enough for disabled and I can see lots of flaws.  I got a motobility car from 1995 but my neighbour up the road when I lived in that area could not qualify because his disability was not approved shall we say by the scheme under their rules.  Thing was I before 1995 bought cars and scrimped and saved and starved to buy my own.  I was born with my disability.  I agree there has always been many conscientious objections to the scheme.  With arguments on who should qualify.  I know I once suggested to motobility then when this argument came up.  Why not have two schemes?  One for those in paid employment and one on benefits.  Offer those on paid employment the opportunity to lease cars through their salary or pay.  Depending on assessment and disability.    The rest the scheme that is set up now.  I advise also that the receiptant of PIP should be advised on all options available.  If the high part is not given.  One suggestion is the chance to buy your vehicle at a price you can afford.  Another to be given support in the transition period and help and advice on other solutions.  I had the mis fortune last year to meet a man who lived in my village.  Told the same old story lost car.  Now no car asked where do live?  Turned out near to him.  Can we car share?  I also asked well you have had three years.  You know give you notice and then tell you.  Had chance to save.  Well no not really been on holiday.  Found out has family plus wife who works.  I said I would help but I am on own and if I need help in return.  The answer was no from him but I went away thinking I am saving myself now well trying.  This is the other issue then is it not.  The other big problem I found out only qualify up to 64.  So I hope and pray if I get to that age what do I do?  What do I do anyway if I lose PIP.  I live in a small village bus services limited, shopping next town, taxis none in my area as far as I know.  What next then for myself if that happens.?  What is the answer?
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • regent
    regent Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Just a word of advice, I would seriously suggest that EVERYONE who  is replacing OR considering a vehicle on the DWP scheme.Should .Firstly consult with their prefered Local Car Dealer and enquire about the MANUFACTURES mobility schemes. Compare the FULL advantages and whole life contract cost and see the differences.
    A manufactures scheme, you will continue to pay monthly, and NOT loose the car,as you would  immediately you have a problem with DWP payments ETC..
    [Motor trade consultant]
  • thespiceman
    Hello @regent Thank you for this.  See I did not know this.  This is what I just said.  Thank you I will probably do that.  More useful information I can use.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP awards continue into retiement as long as you continue to meet the criteria
    However, the mobility component cannot be increased after retirement age.
    This means that your mobility award will remain the same as your last assessment before retirement
    If you are awarded enhanced rate then you will continue to receive that rate as long as you meet the criteria
    If you are awarded standard rate you cannot then be awarded enhanced rate even if your needs change
    If you have no mobility award then you will not received one in the future even if your needs change

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Thank you @CockneyRebel I am again grateful for information.  I know I have not been assessed for PIP still on DLA.  When this comes I know I will need advice.  So I look at all options.  I contact SCOPE or Motobility.  Thank you
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    If you remain on DLA until retirement and are then assessed for PIP after retirement, this is the exception. You can still receive a mobility award if you meet the criteria and this you will carry forward.

PIP reviews do not stop at retirement, currently the maximum award is ongoing or 10 years but you can expect to have a review in 9 years

CR
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    It's a bit late for us as we've now got a car but I'm on higher rate Mobility and would really appreciate any advice about car purchase for the disabled. 
  • Motown
    Motown Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I was on DLA indefinitely, but regularly checked.  My late father used to come with me.  I am 67 and because of my age was moved to PIP.  Was called for an assessment which was farcical.  Have lost my higher rate of mobility and consequently my car.  Am appealing but you wait months.  My MP has not been able to help.  The DWP you can never get through to.  Have told them I want an urgent Appeal.  The whole system is flawed!

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading  this thread those who are claiming DLA and migrate to PIP May lose their mobility car during the transition because the assessment criteria between the two benefits are totally different the first is on your disability the later is on your abilities to meet the PIP descriptors. I should imagine that if better preparation and supporting evidence for your application or reassessment will go a long way in securing an award justified to your circumstances 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I advise people, if they can, to buy their own car.  Some dealers will give 5 years' interest free credit on new cars.

When I transferred from DLA to PIP I lost higher rate mobility, but my car was my own.  On appeal I was awarded higher rate mobility, but the appeal took six months. Appeals take a year now.
  • Motown
    Thank you Wilko for your advice.  I was prepared and gave additional medical evidence.

I have now bought another car which a lot of people cannot do. However you still loose the Blue Badge.

• CockneyRebel
    Blue Badges are issued by your local council. You can make a direct application without having a PIP award. Each council has their own assessment process and criteria
  • Motown
    Cockney Rebel, I bought the car from Motability as I need the car.  However, I realise that the Blue Badge has to relate to the car you are driving.  So I assume I cannot use it on this car.
    Your advice would be appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Motown said:
    Cockney Rebel, I bought the car from Motability as I need the car.  However, I realise that the Blue Badge has to relate to the car you are driving.  So I assume I cannot use it on this car.
    Your advice would be appreciated.
    I'm assuming you mean you exchange your mobility payment for the mobility car, as far as i know you can't buy mobility cars from motability.

A blue badge relates to the person who claims it and is linked to you not your car. You can use a blue badge in any car you're in. When applying for a blue badge they do ask you for registration numbers of the vehicles it's going to be used in but answering this question is completely optional because your BB is not linked to any particular car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • meandmine30
    meandmine30 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Just want to say that I can see where your coming from. I was so ill when I had my first ever assessment that I accepted standard rate mobility but I lived in the middle of nowhere, country lanes were the only way to get my son to school and the council said the school bus was full. There was only a bus running to town 3 times a day that I would've had to walk at least half and hour to get to. Without the car I was stuck but I couldn't get out of the place I was living. The better my health became the more I got annoyed that this was the case. I didn't chose to be ill and it was all just very frustrating
  • Motown
    Hi all,
    thank you got your replies.  Yes when my higher rate of Mobility ended, you have a number of weeks to return the car.  I telephone Motability and asked if I could buy the car from them.  I have only done 1,300 miles and got it towards the end of last year.  In fact it is only the 2nd car I had from Motability.  I did not realise that you had no bills when leasing a car from them.  They give you a price, no haggling and you buy the car in the condition it is in.  I was very pleased and they are lovely staff, when I have dealt with them.
    Regarding the Blue badge.  I thought when DVLC change the details it will show now as a private and not disabled class.  I thought the badge had to relate to the car you got the allowance for.  So I thought I was stuck.  My Blue badge does not expire until December and you can apply to your local council for a concessionary Blue badge, pending the conditions which I did not know about.
    Thank you both for helping me, it still means I can park in a disabled bay which is a relief.  I had visions of being given a parking ticket as the car would no longer be in the disabled class.
    Sorry to be so stupid, but I like many are not familiar with all these dos and dont’s.
    Thank you for your continued help.
    kind regards,
    Motown
  • Motown
    Good morning everyone and it is a good morning.
    Yesterday had a letter from the DWP reversing it’s decision and reinstating my higher level of mobility on my PIP allowance.  Back dated to February and awarding it to me until May 2021.  They have cancelled the Appeal.
    I could not believe it.  It has been a strain mentally and physically.  But I knew the DWP were wrong in their assessment.  I was willing to sit before a panel to prove them wrong.
    One of my friends said you never gave up and am an inspiration.  No, but my late mum told me if you feel there is an injustice, speak up.
    So I just want to say to my fellow claimants, please do not give up if you think you have a valid case.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I am 67!
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Brilliant news @Motown :) Thank you so much for the update and your kind words. ;)

Brightness