Tell us something positive about your carer! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us something positive about your carer!

Options
Antonia_Alumni
Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering

Carers Week has started today and will run from Monday 10th June – Sunday 16th June 2019. This year’s theme will be looking at connecting carers to their communities, advice and information, support services, friends and family, other carers and through technology.

There are approximately 6.5 million carers in the UK who care for a loved one who's disabled, older or chronically ill. You can show your support for Carers Week by making a pledge to help connect carers to support.

Our online community does its best to be supportive of carers, as we know being a carer can make you feel alone and misunderstood, while being cared for can be equally isolating. Getting the right support from your carer and your local carers services is vital in helping to make the load easier to bear.

Being cared for can make you feel like a burden to their carer, I know my loved one sometimes feels like this and often mentions it. However, they are always assured they're not a burden but a blessing. We take each day at a time and try to stay as optimistic as possible.

Would you like tell us something positive about your carer or the person you care for? How does it feel having someone care for you? We'd love for you to share your experiences with us in the comment section below.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    The strength my loved one has is indescribable, seeing what they deal with everyday can be heartbreaking. But to see their willingness to get through the day is inspiring.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If anyone would like to add the Carers Week photo gallery then this can be found here! :)
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My husband, Joe, is my Carer.  I sometimes can feel like a burden and helpless when I can't do all that I want to, but he picks my spirits up and makes me laugh so I soon forget my feelings of helplessness.  He is my lifeline as he does so much to help me from taking me places in the car to helping me do the housework (even if I have to guide him on how to do it at times - lol!)  Life can be really tough sometimes and incredibly frustrating, but the good days outweigh the bad.  Cheers to all the Carers out there on Carers' Week!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Claireee
    Claireee Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My ex husband has continued to be my carer even though we have separated. He, like me, is in constant pain and gets just as frustrated as I do that he can't do some things for me some days. He is my best friend and we manage somehow. I don't know what I'd do if he wasn't my carer anymore, I rely on him for so much. All carers should be properly recognised, they save the government millions every year and give up an awful lot of their own life looking after people like me. I'm incredibly grateful to him, in between the guilt I feel because he has to sacrifice so much!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Thank you for this @Ails and I completely agree with the last sentence!
    Ails said:
    Cheers to all the Carers out there on Carers' Week!  :smiley: 
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Claireee! Great you could have joined us on Carers Week and thank you for sharing this with us. I agree, they certainly do need to have more recognition and the support from them can be invaluable! Please do let me know if there is anything else I can do to support you on the community :)
    Scope

• curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    Options
    I’m a unpaid carer myself. As a carer or mom to a disabled little girl who is 2 now I rely on external support. 
    My disabled girl helps me whenever possible. 

Brightness