Volunteering with parkinsons — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Volunteering with parkinsons

Options
Helen71
Helen71 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi
I am 48 and have had parkinsons for 8 yrs. I am at the point where I need something to do as getting up everyday to nothing is starting to get me depressed. I don't drive and there are no support groups for young onset near me (bridgwater), l worked in retail all my life but had to give up due to bad back and my pd. I am still mobile and need something to fill my days. Any one out there that can help me 

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Options
    @Helen71
    contact your local volunteer centre for volunteering opportunities, they will often help with transport too.

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Helen71

Thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today?

I am glad you are looking into volunteering, i really enjoy volunteering when i can. We have some volunteering opportunities you may be interested in and we some advice and tips on volunteering to develop your skills. If you have further questions, please let us know.

• Helen71
    Helen71 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I would like to work in a shop as this is what I have always done. Is there anyway if a position comes up in bridgwater or raunton you could letm e kno. Im fullt flexabe  
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @helen73

You would be an outstanding volunteer with your background.

Try these charity shops all in Bridgwater.

Barnardo’s Shop tel: 01278 451 569.

St Margaret’s Hospice Shop tel: 01278 458 785.

Scope Shop tel:01278 426 017.

A small wager, the first one you call, will jump for joy that you wish to join them.

Please let us know how you get on.

Brightness