Carers Week photo gallery! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Week photo gallery!

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
This week (10th-17th June) is Carers Week. Here on the community we try our best to support carers as we know the importance of them and the unique challenges they may face.

There are approximately 6.5 million carers in the UK who care for a loved one who's disabled, older or chronically ill. You can show your support for Carers Week by making a pledge to help connect carers to support.

To mark this we are having are having a photo gallery! All you have to do is attach a photo of yourself and your carer (or yourself and the person you care for) with something you have learnt while having/ being a carer.

This will run all week so I look forward seeing all your pictures!
Scope

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger

I have 2 carers, Ewan (my fiancé) and my Mum (She doesn't like having her photo taken)

We both have learnt that being in a relationship and caring for someone are two completely different things.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thanks for sharing this @Ami2301, such a lovely photo! 
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope :) it was difficult to find one as Ewan always looks grumpy in photos Haha!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Thank you for your post @Chloe_Scope

I have learnt to be extremely patient. Which has not being that difficult with my loved one, even though we have our days where we will not speak, for a whole hour, before they need the remote or I can't keep my eyes off their snack and ask for some. :) But what has not come easy is having patience with myself, as I believe I have to be 100% at all times. But I have learnt it is not possible and you have to do the best you can. Even with my loved one who tries to put up a front, that they are ok and they are not. It's okay to cry or feel down but it's exhausting to stay there, so getting support internally or externally can be helpful and comforting for the carer, the person being cared for and other loved ones around. 

Good luck to everyone, who enters the photo competition! :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for this @Antonia_Scope! Very insightful and I'm sure people will be able to relate.
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    My husband, Joe, is my Carer.  I can certainly relate to all the comments here as being the Carer and the one who is being cared for can add a new dimension to your relationship and you learn a lot about each other during the process.  I know that we both can frustrate the heck out of each other and both need our own space at times just to cool off.  I would be a liar if I said that the journey isn't rocky at times, but we try to smooth out the bumps as much as we can!  :wink:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    What a great photo @Ails! I imagine it's not always the easiest but I'm so glad you've been able to work together on this :)
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you, @Chloe_Scope.  Yes, we get there.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness