Pip mobility component — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip mobility component

Stv911
Stv911 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was given the daily living component of pip back at the start of the year 2019. I was wondering if I can still appeal the decision for the mobility component [june 2019]. I’d like to know if I can and do or if I have to reapply does it affect the daily living component. Am I at risk of losing it if I do appeal/reapply 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You can't re-apply because you already have an award in place.

With good reason you do have 13 months to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) but no one on an internet forum can tell you whether there's any risk to your current award.

They will also only be able to take into consideration how your conditions were like at the time the decision was made.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Did you have a mobility issue at the time of your assessment but did not meet the criteria for an award  ?
    If not then is it a new condition ?
    If so has your condition got worse to the extent that you now might meet the criteria for a mobility award ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • AlexandriaUK
    AlexandriaUK Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    If you have not done an MR within this time scale then I'm sorry but your too late, if you had done an MR within the allocated time then you could put in an appeal to the tribunal and then you could do that upto a much greater time scale.
    What you need to do if you truly believe your condition is much worse now than when you applied is to put in a change of circumstance claim but for this you need to show with medical support that your condition has changed so much that you now need more help with your care. 
    Remember though that you do risk losing what you have as the DWP will look at your whole claim again. 

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Stv911

You have been given sound advice above, about seeking a revision of your PIP claim.

I note the link provided, relate to guidance from CAB, so you may wish to contact your local CAB and get face to face advice, from one of their Welfare Rights Officer.

I feel sure this will assist you.

Keep us informed.
  • poppy123456
    If you have not done an MR within this time scale then I'm sorry but your too late, if you had done an MR within the allocated time then you could put in an appeal to the tribunal and then you could do that upto a much greater time scale.

That's not correct. For both the MR and Tribunal, with good reason you have 13 months to request them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    You have an obligation to inform DWP if there is any change in circumstances. There is no 'if you get better' addition to that rule.

If you put in another claim it opens both the Mobility and Care assessments to review.

Only a competent adviser with full knowledge of your circumstances can give you guidance on how to proceed. 
  • gerrys6
    gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
    So when the time comes to fill in the form to reapply (after your award comes to its close (usually a year before) and you then fill in all the things that have gotten worse do you then add any new diagnosis then that u should you let them know before that ? But You didn’t because you didn’t  want to rock the boat and wait for the reapplication form and then list it all . 
    I been told your risking the whole thing if you tell them about any changes ? Well say there’s changes and new things what do you do then ? 
  • poppy123456
    gerrys6 said:
    So when the time comes to fill in the form to reapply (after your award comes to its close (usually a year before) and you then fill in all the things that have gotten worse do you then add any new diagnosis then that u should you let them know before that ? But You didn’t because you didn’t  want to rock the boat and wait for the reapplication form and then list it all . 
    I been told your risking the whole thing if you tell them about any changes ? Well say there’s changes and new things what do you do then ? 
    Your award doesn't just end 1 year before. You can be reviewed anytime from 1 year before and you'll be sent review forms. Your award will continue until a decision's been made on the review, providing you return the forms in time.

When filling out those forms you need to treat is as a new claim and tell them everything about how your conditions affect you. Tell them every diagnosis you have, even if you didn't mention it on a previous claim or if you didn't tell them about a new diagnosis, it doesn't matter. Put as much information as possible. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Make sure you send evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Expect another face to face assessment because most have them.
  • poppy123456
    foxuk said:
    You have an obligation to inform DWP if there is any change in circumstances. There is no 'if you get better' addition to that rule.

If you put in another claim it opens both the Mobility and Care assessments to review.

Only a competent adviser with full knowledge of your circumstances can give you guidance on how to proceed. 
    You can't start another claim if there's already an award in place.
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    foxuk said:

You can't start another claim if there's already an award in place.
    Informing DWP of changes to circumstances is not a new claim. It is something that has to be done. A change in circumstances may affect an award but is not a new claim. It says on all the paperwork that the DWP have to be informed of changes affecting the claim. This could result in an increased or reduced award.
  • poppy123456
    It depends what the change of circumstances are. If a claimant has a worsening of condition, it doesn't mean they are entitled to a higher award. They should check the descriptors first to see if they could score more points for an award. If no more points can be scored then putting in a change of circumstances is pointless.

A few years ago my condition got worse but because of fear of losing the award i already had i waited for my PIP review. Several months later i had that review and my PIP mobility was increased from standard to Enhanced.

During a phone call from the case manager 4 days after my face to face assessment, he asked my one question..."when did your mobility get worse?" My reply was 7 months ago. He said thank you, you'll have a decision within the next week. 24 hours later i rand and a decision was made. I was also paid backdated money for 3 months. Yes, it wasn't the whole 7 months but i wasn't expecting any backdated money because it was a review.

If a person's condition has improved then of course it's totally different and changes must be reported.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.