Motobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motobility

Steviegee
Steviegee Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello
I am a disabled man with a degenerative spinal disease I have in the past been a long distance hgvs driver for 20 odd years unfortunately I was involved in a accident and that when the troubles with my spine started I've had several operations since and now can't do the job I loved.
However this week I have been offered a job driving the wagons that clean the roads and streets all I am required to do is drive there is no manual work for me to do as I have a driver's mate with me all I have to do is drive the vehicle a perfect opportunity given my condition but I would need my mobility car to get to and from work as the firm I would be working for is based on a farm in the middle of nowhere there is no public transport that goes anywhere near to it so would definitely need the car they would like me to go self employed but say they can accommodate me going through the books I want to work as I have a 5 year old daughter and obviously would like her to have a better life ie holidays,toys clothes like the other children and would like her to understand the work ethics of normal life but if I took the job and then they took the car off me it would all go horribly wrong could anyone give me advice in this tricky predicament I find myself in ...

.thank you Steve 

Comments

• kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Pip and ESA are for those who are too disabled to work I believe. Yes I think you can do a few hours work if declared but generally speaking you get a motability car only if on higher level of mobility I.e. Usually wheelchair user .
  • Steviegee
    I already have a mobility car and on the enhanced high rate mobility I use a stick but if I start the job do you think they will take the car off me only then I couldn't do the job for lack of transport
  • kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Possibly not as you need the car. However I'd never 100% trust that they wouldn't. Possibly best bet is call Citizens Advice?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    kazzy1 said:
    Pip and ESA are for those who are too disabled to work I believe. Yes I think you can do a few hours work if declared but generally speaking you get a motability car only if on higher level of mobility I.e. Usually wheelchair user .
     PIP is not an out of work benefit, many people work full time and also claim PIP. As long as the work you do does not conflict with the reason for your claim you should still qualify
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, I have to conger with CR pip is about your abilities not disability so as long as you meet the pip descriptors you will be awarded pip.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Steviegee, as @CockneyRebel and @wilko have both said, PIP is about extra care needs, not the ability to work. A lot of people claim PIP and work full time. Just be sure the work you do doesn't contradict your reason for claiming PIP. 
    If you are claiming ESA, you will need to contact them about starting work etc and to check whether it would come under permitted work. 
    Best of luck. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Steviegee
    Thanks for your help on this ille give them a ring 

Brightness