Shorten Life Expectancy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shorten Life Expectancy

Argyl14
Argyl14 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Bad chronic pain for 3 years after accident. Luke some struggled,  then past brain injury  kicks. 

Right or wrong OD 3 times, plus other things. 

Now  cant take painkillers.

Crushed foot, NHS, how I dont know missed  it for a year,  then op too late bones  removed.  As crush, bad nerve  damage..

Not that injuries will be direct  cause.

With endless  pain, mental health issues, cant work. Stuck in.

I really do think, I'll be lucky to see end of year, get this feeling,  only so much your body  can take.

Not working  is not a good thing  for you, unless minted  :)

All past hobbies, xanthe do. Like out on motor bike 

Does anyone  else, get that feeling, only so much body can take, and after bad accident etc, your  life is shortened  massively 

Told that to pain clinic psychologist, never dissagreed6 ;(

Comments

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    I have been in chronic pain for over 26 years and sometimes think my life hasn't been short enough! Motor stuff can still be done in a wheelchair. There's loads of disabled adaptations. There's loads of disabled groups for support - or sport!  No need to be stuck in @Argyl14. No need to have past hobbies...any stories of disabled people active in your hobby world?chronic pain responds well to distractions. I mmight describe it as vital even 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Argyl14. I'm really sorry to read this. I imagine this is proving to be quite an adjustment for you. What sort of support are you receiving for your mental health at this point?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Argyl14
    Argyl14 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Support, none from NHS.

I started seeing a charity  called Headway.  Missed last appointment as I bad day, feel terrible, cant bring myself to call em.

I'll support and fight for the NHS, its needed, just deliberately  underfunded.

Since day of my accident, sorry to say, failed in everything with me.

Lost all faith, at stage, just leave me.

Like most, chronic pain, when sorted of new to having it, 3 years. Is just overwhelming. 

I take it others feel  the same, as people cant see it, they look at you, as if hmmm.

Same with MH, even your closest, cant really understand it.

How do others  cope?  I was sort of getting there,  learning how to deal with one part, then NHS messed up other treatment, back to start, and this time can't  get sorted.

Good days! Well... aye good days, I wonder why did I try to OD, then bad times, i go, no bloody wonder. 

How do others cope?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Argyl14, how are you feeling today?
    I know it's easy for me to just say "call them" but you really should. Headway will understand and shouldn't make you feel bad about a missed appointment. You won't be the only one that has done that and we all have bad days where we just can't face anything. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Argyl14, sorry to hear that you have had such an awful time and I can appreciate how tough things must be for you.  I suffer from chronic pain in my hip which has been made worse by surgery so at times I do feel really down and as if everything is stacked up against me.  I know it is awful when you are stuck in the house all day!  I have found some new hobbies to keep me going and they do help to lift my spirits somewhat.  Maybe you could think about what interests you and research it online as there is lots of good info that you can find about hobbies.  Also there are some really good online forums for speaking to people who have similar interests.  I have recently started on Scope as a Community Champion where I welcome new members and guide people to relevant info, etc, and I have found this to be a "godsend" for me as it takes my mind off my own issues when I am helping others and I have met lots of lovely people here too.  So I would recommend that to anyone if you are interested.  These are only suggestions of course and I hope that things get better for you.  You have come to the right place to share your experiences as the Scope community is here to support.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness