Toilet issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Toilet issues

dredman
dredman Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Any tips / advice for encouraging dd to sleep nappy less in the evening? She is 6 and still wakes up wet. I'm not sure she is ready, but other children have made nasty comments about sleeping in nappies and it seems to bother her (plus store nappies are getting small!) 

Comments

• fantsu
    fantsu Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Maybe she's actually ready? Tell us more about her.
  • dredman
    She's 6. She wets in her nappy in the night. With her needs, she doesn't wake up when she needs the toilet. Her ADHD makes it harder to get her to sleep but her ASD makes her a deep sleeper! 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you talked to your g p or other health professional? Tbh I think every child ones at their own pace and its hard for someone else to predict. Have you tried using the waterproof mats or bedding instead of nappies? On the one hand you want your child rested and on the other you want them moving forward. It's tricky even more so with additional needs children. Perhaps speak to an o t who may know of devices like a buzzer alarm if it's appropriate. Good luck.
  • dredman
    Thank you. I have tried bedtime pads, but dge seems to wiggle around so much sge misses them!
  • dredman
    Tried dream wee, just caused upset and autistic meltdown. We switched to bed pads, but she'd rip them up and wee on matress. 
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @dredman

This can be a real problem I know.
    When my eldest son was 6/7 he was dry in the day and still wet at night.  As you say normal nappies are too small so we began getting dry nights for him from the supermarket.  These can be quite expensive.

The problem hit a high when he had a sleepover with a friend, and although the dry nights looked similar to shorts, his friend commented on them and told others.

In the end we took him to the GP and he was referred to an Enuresis nurse who gave us a program.  The nurse also provided us with a mattress alarm which activates when it starts to get wet to wake him up but as he got so warm at night he would sweat and this would set it off instead so we had to stop using it.

In the end the program we received did work but it was awful to start with as we had to change his bed several times a night before it kicked in.

We blamed ourselves for a long time as we took him out of nappies to try him many times and he would then wet the bed so we would put him back in them, saying he wasn't ready instead of persevering, but it is entirely dependent on the child and with your daughter sleeping so heavily with her autism it will make it harder I am sure.

Try and visit the GP and ask about an enuresis service and see if you can be referred.  They may have more ideas.

good luck,
    Beverley

Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • dredman
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing @dredman. Please do keep us updated on how you and your daughter get on with this!
    Scope

• dredman
    We have just had our first dry night! I made a visual timetable of what we were trying to do. Popped on a pad, no nappy. No drinks i hour before bed and a dream wee at 10. She woke up so proud! It's all stuff we did before but we forgot to do the visual timetable to explain it. This time we remembered and first night went well. Thanks everyone! Fingers crossed it continues ?
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Well done!  Keep going and don't give up  :)
    Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This is great news @dredman!! So happy for you both! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    Scope

Brightness