What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can ask for a home assessment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    If a home assessment is needed, you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting the home assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    There are people who do have home assessments.
  • Matilda
    I for one don't wish to discourage jenniej from applying as she might have a good enough case.
  • JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    I've been reading so many links and comments about having a face to face assessment, I'm like everyone I'm absolutely terrified. Not because I'm not ill but because it feels like they are testing you and trying to catch you out and you are literally fighting for your life!  anyone would feel threatened by this. Surely if you send enough good solid letters from consultants to support your claims then why is this FTF needed? 
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Without asking for one, my wife was offered a home consultation for the face to face interview. It was an offer she gratefully accepted.
  • jenniej
    jenniej Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Hi all well I have posted my form for pip just have to wait now I noticed it said that I could withdraw my claim if I wanted to but why would I I have nothing to hide I think that’s what they want us to do be so afraid of a f2f that we will not send it in typical goverment
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Fitznspatz - I think the home visit might depend to some extent on where you live.

I live I Wales - I believe that they're more common here due to the distance that claimants might likely have to travel to the assessment.
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    jenniej said:
    Hi all well I have posted my form for pip just have to wait now I noticed it said that I could withdraw my claim if I wanted to but why would I I have nothing to hide I think that’s what they want us to do be so afraid of a f2f that we will not send it in typical goverment
    I have been through the F2F. Don't be afraid of it, just be yourself but be aware that they are watching your every move, from outside the building and all the time that you are there.. A lot of what was written on my report wasn't accurate but at the time, the 'nurse', who did my F2F seemed very nice. I was on DLA (high rate, indefinitely) for 13 years and had to apply for PIP. I was turned down and I am now waiting to go to a tribunal (next month)  The whole experience is very stressful but just think to yourself, that you deserve this award and you are going to see it through to the end. Good luck wiith your claim. I will report back on my results...fingers crossed! xx
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    @cristobal, quite possibly. We have two assessment centres about 20 miles away and two more within a 30 mile radius.
  • JulieTuesday
    jenniej said:
    I posted mine 3 days ago and sent it recorded delivery, like you now a waiting game. Our nearest assessment centre is 25 miles away, but I never asked for a home visit. Wishing you much luck Jenniej 
  • jenniej
    Thank you julieTuesday I am really nervous my daughter has to go with me as I haven’t long lost my husband I feel that they will reject my claim my daughter has moved back home to take over what her dad did for me I feel that our age range have been targeted and that we should all treated the same as far as assessments go and that’s no disrespect to anybody because we are all in the same boat nobody would claim this if we were well good luck to you Julie 
  • JulieTuesday
    I'm 69 yrs old and my husband is older than me, without him, I will be carted off to some care home most like!  I'll post on here as soon as I hear from them.
  • jenniej
    I know what you mean Julie I am 67 and my husband was a gem of a man nothing was to much trouble he never complained at doing anything for me I feel as though my daughter has taken on a burden she works full time and has to come back and forth during the day  she also is not well she has been wonderful
  • Matilda
    Doctors' letters are not enough.  PIP is not for your medical conditions but how these affect your daily living and mobility.  Check the list of descriptors on Disability Rights site.

Assessors do ask trick questions.  They might ask for how long you can walk, not how far.  Say that it takes you X minutes or seconds to walk Y meters.

They might ask if you have pets.  Looking after pets can require a high level of energy.  They might ask about hobbies. Knitting and crafts could indicate a high level of manual dexterity.

They might ask how often you drive.  Driving requires concentration, stamina and manual dexterity.  Assessor might ask if you drove yourself to the assessment.

• JulieTuesday
    I just thought I'd mention that I rang the number for progress on my PIP claim and was told here in the South West of UK claims are running at 8 weeks (it was 6 weeks) until you get a letter for a f2f if you have one, then another 4 weeks.   So a long wait I think to hear anything, my pip application went in on 24th June.  
  • jenniej
    That’s that’s that’s not the case here in wales sent my form in July 1st got the letter for a home assessment at home for July 24 they must be desperate in wales to take your money and I didn’t ask for home f2f 
  • JulieTuesday
    You are lucky Jennie, at least it'll be over and done with for you! I have more time to worry lol
  • jenniej
    I hope everything goes well for you Julie let you know how it goes next week fingers crossed lol
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I found the PIP assessment really easy, but it's true what people have said about being watched as soon as you arrive.
    The first thing on my report was that I heard my name being called out in the waiting room !!
    The second thing was about me walking into the interview room unaided with an altered gait.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.