What now ? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What now ?

2»

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Great news @April2018mom. Congratulations! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I think doing tarot-reading would be fascinating @April2018mom.  I have been to see a couple and loved it!  Great news about your new office job in September.  I hope it goes well for you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, new to the group and only just spotted your post. Like you I went from being a busy active woman, with a great family and had a super job, to a wheelchair user.
    I had to learn how to pace myself, listen to my body and learn to relax...which was the hardest thing!

I have a busy mind, so used it to do stuff like writing short stories, making rag dolls, quilting, jewelery, greetings cards. My current hobby is rock painting. Hope you are coping x
  • barberanna
    barberanna Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    Hi, new to the group and only just spotted your post. Like you I went from being a busy active woman, with a great family and had a super job, to a wheelchair user.
    I had to learn how to pace myself, listen to my body and learn to relax...which was the hardest thing!

I have a busy mind, so used it to do stuff like writing short stories, making rag dolls, quilting, jewelery, greetings cards. My current hobby is rock painting. Hope you are coping x

• barberanna
    barberanna Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
    I wish I could be more like you ,I don’t seem to having any patience if it’s to slow . I need to be more kind to myself I think . Well done though you ... if you have a recipe to calm my mind pls help lol comment
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I wish I could be more like you ,I don’t seem to having any patience if it’s to slow . I need to be more kind to myself I think . Well done though you ... if you have a recipe to calm my mind pls help lol comment
    Hi, how are doing now chick? I`ve started reading again and find it such an escape from worries...like awaiting a PIP decision. I like to read biographies and true stories. Do you like to read?x
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Like @pollyanna1052, I enjoy reading too and find it very relaxing.  I also find that doing some arts and crafts gives me peace of mind and transports me into a calmer place if I am feeling stressed or down.  Do you have any hobbies or interests @barberanna:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Ok this may seem like whinging and I know I’m a lot better of than some people and in the grand scale of life I shouldn’t complain but how do you move on from being so active and self sufficient, a career , having horses , an active family , friends and huge social life to 24/7 pain unable to work or even function ,unable to arrange any activity as you don’t know how your be from day to day , not having a purpose , losing friends , losing the basic ability to even able to bathe unaided in case you pass out . 
    I don’t ask why me because why not but I do ask what now in life 
    Part of the problem is that when we are growing up, and young adults there is little explaination of the possible issues we may experience as we become older, and our bodies and brains become less able to perform as when we were younger. 
    I have a life long disability - Auditory Processing Disorder - which for me and my family is a genetic issue, however many adults can acquire similar issues due to brain injury, stroke, or the various types of dementia.
    So although I have been living with my disability all of my life, for some one to acquire the same problems which ca be part of Aphasia, and Agnosia and many other communication disabilities, must be almost unexplainable and not part of life as previously experienced. 
    Hopefully you will find ways of coping and develop alternative hobbies and interests that best fit your new circumstances. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @barberanna, it can be incredibly difficult to adjust to life when it is different to those around us. 

How are you doing today?
    Scope

Brightness