I had to give up my job, can I claim anything? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had to give up my job, can I claim anything?

debdeb13
debdeb13 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi I have had to give up my job due to not being well enough  to work it was my choice to leave. My husband works full time i got reffussed pip  would I be able to claim anything

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debdeb13 sorry to hear what has happened. Have you contacted your local CAB for advice, plus they could do a benefits check to see what you're entitled to. In the meantime, have you used our handy benefit calculator? It will give you an idea of what you may be eligible for, which you can find here. However, it is definitely worth contacting your CAB.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debdeb13
    Hi ami2301  thanks for information will have a look and  ring cab
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    seeing the CAB is a great idea, I am not sure if the fact that you choose to finish work may delay any benefit payments, sure CAB will be able to advise
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When did you leave your job? Depending on when that was you could possibly be sanctioned for leaving, if DWP think it wasn't good reason.  Did you claim SSP from your employer for 28 weeks before leaving?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debdeb13
    Hi poppy123456 I left 3 months ago unable to as of bad health I was on zero contract hrs 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years from April 2016 to March 2018 you maybe able to claim New style ESA but you'll need to check your NI records to see what exactly you've paid. You can check those online here.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record If you've paid enough then you'll need a sick note from your GP to be able to claim this.

If you haven't paid enough then the only other benefit is Universal credit. This is a means tested benefit and you'll need to claim as a couple with your partner. Whether or not you'll qualify will depend on your household income, savings and capital.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.