Gabapentin versus Prevailing for Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gabapentin versus Prevailing for Fibromyalgia

Options
debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
Hi
I've got fibromyalgia and I'm taking gabapentin for this. It helps me to a point but I feel I've reached the threshold and am now going to try pregablin under advice from my g p..  I'm going to gradually reduce the gab and I'm dreading it. I've tried before and it's been painful. However I'm hoping that having a goal in mind to start pregablin I will get through it less painfully or with less withdrawals. Any advice on which one works best for you or getting through the swap over please? 

Comments

• debbiedo49
    Options
    Excuse the typo for Pregablin 
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Options
    As far as I'm aware Pregabalin is just the same as gabapentin but stronger so it should work better

Good luck hope it fixes your pain
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,017 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    None of those worked for me but everyone's different, especially when it comes to medication. What might suit one, may not suit another. Hopefully it works for you. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    Thanks guys! It’s trial and error I suppose. I’m also on a different anti depressant for fibromyalgia which seems to be okay so far, duloxetine, and I’m hoping this will help too. I’m doing this during the holidays so I can have space and time to manage it better. I’m hoping that pregab will not make me gain weight like gab has. I’m biggest I’ve ever been. If sucks!
  • debbiedo49
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Duloxetine, is another that didn't work for me. I've actually tried almost everything there is to try, without any success. Hope it works for you. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 2Plantpot
    2Plantpot Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Duloxetine has helped my anxiety but only really takes an edge off the pain.
    Put a lot of weight on with it though 
    Well it's either that or copious amounts of cake ?
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    Yes I’m aware that some meds can cause weight gain nom nom ? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope it works for you @debbiedo49!
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    Options
    Thanks I’m in the middle of coming off gab and I’m not sure how I’m feeling right now lol ? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Here if you need anything :)
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes I’m aware that some meds can cause weight gain nom nom ? 
    I think most of the meds that are supposed to help with fibro cause weight gain. Not that it takes much for me to gain that weight, i only have to look at cake and chocolate and i put a pound on :D They really should make those things taste horrible ;)

Good luck with the meds!
  • debbiedo49
    Options
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    I was really suffering coming off Gabapentin but found pregablin kicked in fairly quickly. I think I was just so relieved to be getting some relief from the fibro pain. I will need to talk to my GP as I think the leaflet she gave me about the meds is a bit confusing as the meds are 75 mg 2 x daily on the box but the leaflet recommends gradually building it up to 300 mgs as a maintenance dose. I can’t remember exactly what she said as I was focusing on the instructions for Gabapentin. I know it’s trial and error getting the correct dose. So far I don’t feel as zonked out of it as I did on Gabapentin but it’s not been long. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @debbiedo49, I'm glad the new medication kicked in quickly for you. I know it can be confusing when starting a new medication and seeing your GP would be a good idea to get some clarify on this :)
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    Options
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Wishing you a lovely day @debbiedo49 :)
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    Options