Disabled cycling pump/skills track — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled cycling pump/skills track

Options
KittyTinker
KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
Does anyone know of any cycling skills tracks that are accessible for three wheelers we used to have a rehatri trike that could tip quite easily but now have a recumbent that seems a bit more stable. Many thanks 

Comments

• wittygal1996
    wittygal1996 Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Have you googled disabled cycling lessons?
  • Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Options
    I would think most 400m athletics tracks would be fine with your bike.  I would check there first, but the "Racerunners" which are not too dissimilar from those trikes in design use them.  I would think banked Velodrome tracks would be unsuitable though and may have more restrictions. 
  • KittyTinker
    Options
    Thanks wittygal1996 but what I’m looking for are off road tracks that are designed to give a bit of excitement lumps and bumps but not enough to tip up 3 wheelers. He is a good road cyclist but still a teenager so it would be nice to find something to get that skills thrill. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Where do you live? Your local council should be able to help. 
  • KittyTinker
    Options
    Thanks April2018mom our local council are planning to build a track and my son is hoping to have some input and we wanted to try some out or even just look at the plans for others that are accessible. In the end he and his dad have just done their own plan and sent it to the council to see what they say. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @KittyTinker. Thanks for sharing this. I’d be really interested to know how this turns out. Do you mind keeping us up-to-date as it develops?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's a great charity called Cycling 4 All, I wonder if they could offer any thoughts? You can contact them here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • KittyTinker
    Options
    Hi Adrian yes that’s great, not sure how much input he will have in the end but the council made all the right noises when he sent the plan and my boy is certainly determined. 
  • KittyTinker
    Options
    Thanks Sam we have something similar to that in York called Get Cycling where you can try all sorts of bikes at the York sports campus and events around North Yorkshire it is brilliant, but he wants a bit more of an off road experience. 

Brightness