ESA underpayment - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment

124»

Comments

• toastedsocks
    toastedsocks Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Can someone please tell me what 14 months of underpayment would amount to as I don't understand how it is calculated.

Also, how on earth is the average payment owed £5.000? Is that over many years?
    Any answers much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Can someone please tell me what 14 months of underpayment would amount to as I don't understand how it is calculated.

Also, how on earth is the average payment owed £5.000? Is that over many years?
    Any answers much appreciated.
    It will depend if you were underpaid just the Enhanced disability premium or the Severe disability as well. If it’s just the Enhanced premium then it will be less than £1,000. 

Some me people are owed money going back several years. Some are owed money for bother disability premiums and because the severe disability premium is more than £60 per week then this increases the amount owed significantly. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fedup1981
    fedup1981 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2019
    @poppy123456

Hi
    Hope it’s ok to ask you, just I see you know what you’re talking about. 
    I got my form in May, sent it back straight away. Had no idea of this error previously. 
    I was just wondering how long it takes for them to process it?

Am I right in thinking IR esa is paid on top of CB esa? So currently it’s about £16?
    and if I was underpaid it would be about that amount, 2012 rates. 
    I think that’s all I’d be entitled to as my husband was my carer and unemployed at the time. 

Thank you for reading ?
  • poppy123456
    fedup1981 said:
    @poppy123456

Hi
    I got my form in May, sent it back straight away. Had no idea of this error previously. 

Am I right in thinking IR esa is paid on top of CB esa? So currently it’s about £16?
    I think that’s all I’d be entitled to as my husband was my carer and unemployed at the time. 

Thank you for reading ?
    Hi,

Income Related ESA is paid on top of CB ESA but whether you're entitled to it will depend on your circumstances during the dates stated.

Your husband was your carer but was he claiming carers allowance during this time? If he was then what other benefits was he claiming with the carers allowance.... Income Support maybe?

The things they look at at savings/capital and other household income like pensions and any other benefits your husband may have been claiming.

Waiting times for decision are about 12-20 weeks possibly longer. Once a decision is made they will write to you with a decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fedup1981
    fedup1981 said:
    @poppy123456

Hi

Thank you for reading ?
    Hi,

Income Related ESA is paid on top of CB ESA but whether you're entitled to it will depend on your circumstances during the dates stated.

Your husband was your carer but was he claiming carers allowance during this time? If he was then what other benefits was he claiming with the carers allowance.... Income Support maybe?

The things they look at at savings/capital and other household income like pensions and any other benefits your husband may have been claiming.

Waiting times for decision are about 12-20 weeks possibly longer. Once a decision is made they will write to you with a decision letter.
    Thank you Poppy. 
    My husband was claiming carers during that time  but we have never claimed IS.
    We lived on carers, CB ESA for me, child tax credit, dla for me - mid rate care, low rate mobility, and housing & council tax benefit. 

We’ve never had any savings or income from pensions. 

Do they only contact you if they think they’ve underpaid or is it a big possibility that they owe nothing?

Thank you ?
  • poppy123456
    No problem. You should have been claiming ESA as a couple as he wasn't claiming any other benefits himself apart from the carers allowance. The carers allowance will be classed as Income when calculating any underpayments.

I can't say for definite whether you'll be owed anything because i'm not an expert and i don't know your exact circumstances during that time. As long as they've got both of your details then they will assess you.

To answer your other question, they are contacting everyone that transferred across, whether they're are owed anything or not. Some haven't been owed anything.

Hopefully it won't be too long before a decision is made. Good luck.
  • fedup1981
    @poppy123456

oh I thought claiming as a couple was if you were both incapacitated. Hopefully it’ll all be sorted soon, it’s very confusing!

thank you for your help. I’ll try to remember to update you when I know what’s what! ??
  • poppy123456
    fedup1981 said:
    @poppy123456

oh I thought claiming as a couple was if you were both incapacitated. Hopefully it’ll all be sorted soon, it’s very confusing!

thank you for your help. I’ll try to remember to update you when I know what’s what! ??
    No, that's not correct. When claiming a means tested benefit you claim as a couple and you don't both have to unable to work.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.