Energy Saving Grants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy Saving Grants

magsmith
magsmith Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi
I just had an unsolicited phone call about getting an energy saving grant. I usually put the phone down but for some reason I carried on listening. After about 5 minutes the guy said to qualify someone in the house had to be getting a benefit such as (then he went on to list all the benefits my son gets). This freaked me out a bit so I denied that anyone living here got any benefits. Is there really such a scheme or was it a scam?
Margaret

PS I have Googled and can't find any such scheme 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, it is a genuine scheme.  Although that's not to say the person that called you was genuine!  It can be used for things like loft insulation if your home doesn't meet the current standards.
  • magsmith
    magsmith Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Thanks. I just found a site for Wales but the phone number isn't working. I have requested a call-back. I'd rather go through the proper channels. It was obviously a call centre as I could hear lots of background chat. I just didn't like the fact that they knew which benefits my son was receiving. Not sure if I will be eligible for anything but worth following up. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Its a cold calling operation.

They would not know about what benefits your family is on.

You have to be on means tested benefit to get a grant, by example Pension Credits.

These grants are funded by the energy firms.

Hope this helps.

Brightness