Stuck in hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stuck in hospital

abbeym395
abbeym395 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
Hello everyone!  I have been stuck in hospital for most of the last 3 weeks.  I have had two failed discharges and was only out for a total of 5 days.  They are calling it functional nausea and vomiting.  They've withdrawn my IV fluids but I'm going to push for some to be restarted after I nearly collapsed when I went down to reception earlier!!  Tomorrow I'm being trialed on a NG tube to supplement the small amounts I can eat.  I'll also be getting a midline if they restart my IV stuff as my veins are destroyed.  I also have mental health problems, IBS, chronic pain syndrome and a few other bits and pieces.

I was hoping to find some comfort among other people who know what it's like to have a body and brain that don't like talking to each other properly.

So hello!!

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @abbeym395 and welcome to the community. I'm sorry it sounds like you're having such a rough time. Do you have much of a support network around you?
    Please let us know if we can offer you some advice with anything.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • abbeym395
    I'm just feeling frustrated and angry because I just got seen by a doctor who wasn't even aware of the NG recommendation.  It's like they're so desperate to get me out to they're not thinking about my needs in the medium term.  I have very little in the way of a support network unfortunately.  It's looking like if I get an NG, it won't be until tomorrow.  Otherwise they're sending me home.  I just don't know how to get my feelings listened to.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @abbeym395

Good Afternoon & Welcome it's great to meet you today ?

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

Yes I have been in your "situation" more "times" than I have had "Hot Dinners"

Please please contact me if I can be of any "help/support"

@steve51
  • abbeym395
    Thanks for the offer :) it's a horrific place to be, that's for sure.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Hello @abbeym395   Pleased to meet you welcome .

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear what you are experiencing.  We as a community do understand .

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide and advise new members who join the community.

I know this is not easy to deal with . Feel for you.  I do think you need to speak to some one like PALS .

Patient liaison services or speak to RETHINK .  Have a look on line might be worth speaking to RETHINK.

https://www.rethink.org.

Helpline advice line 0300 500 0927

They are an advocate service for those  with mental health issues and additional problems not getting any answers with their care.  NHS services and any treatment involved.

Just an idea for you. I know might be interested in helping you.

No one wishes to see a valued member having problems with treatment and care.

Wish you well in your recovery.

Any problems please ask . We are here to help and advise. A member of our team or a member of our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • megan_parker
    megan_parker Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hi @abbeym395

Lovely to meet you. I am so so sorry to hear about what you are going through, my dad is currently facing a similar situation and has been in and out of hospital 4 times now so I completely understand how frustrating it is. 

You can always come here for support and we will always try to help if we can.

I hope things start to look up for you soon!
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm sorry @abbeym395. That's a really tough situation to be in. Have you had any news today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • abbeym395
    Yes, I have.  They're sending me home.  They think that with my dietary restrictions I'll be better able to eat if I go home.  But my main worry is fluids.  The sister came and talked to me for a long while and she's going to yell at the mental health team and get them to help me more.  I just fear that by the weekend I'll be back.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @abbeym395   Thank you for sharing with the community. 

Please can I ask did you have time to contact RETHINK.?

Just because you have a mental health team if they are not working for you then contact RETHINK.

Every one deserves good mental health and support.

Intervening might be supportive and seek some answers with your care.

Advocate service useful because they can speak on your behalf with your permission discuss before hand with you what you need to ask Doctors or mental health team.  They then talk to the people in involved with your care.

Hope that helps you.

Please keep in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hope you're doing okay @abbeym395. Are you back at home now?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • abbeym395
    Yeah.  Managed a little food but feeling quite sick now.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely talk to PAL. Give them a call to discuss your situation tomorrow and see what happens. Keep us posted. 
  • April2018mom
    How are you doing today? 
  • abbeym395
    I'm struggling.  Using my wheelchair because I'm just too unsteady to walk very far even with my walker.  But I'm out, and trying to make the best of it even if my stomach doesn't really want to know!!
  • April2018mom
    Great update! We are currently in the hospital as my son’s bowel and bladder issues have worsened over the past few months. Waiting to see his regular doc. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @abbeym395, thank you for updating us. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling to move around. Do you have any follow up appointments to see anyone about this?
    Scope

• abbeym395
    My GP did some urgent blood stuff today but I'm not sure what they plan to do if they come back normal.  Frankly I'm really struggling and might have to go back up to the hospital soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you don't have to wait long for the results @abbeym395. I'm sorry to hear you are really struggling. Would you be able to get to the hospital if you needed to go back in?
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    How are you doing today @abbeym395?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • abbeym395
    I ended up in a and e after my last post as I got really lethargic and confused.  But my bloods were normal enough so they refused to treat me or admit me because they didn't think it would help in the long term.  The doctor was really kind, said that I was being stronger than she'd ever had to be which is really sticking with me and driving me forward.  I'm really struggling but managed, somehow, to get a mini kitchen set up in my bedroom last night.  I've also been seen by a service that should help me advocate and get the multitude of agencies supporting me to actually talk to each other.  She's also going to try and get an OT assessment done to get me some equipment for me.

Brightness