Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    bluebob said:
    We said getinolde I'm the seem if the wife makes some really nice meals  and if I enjoy it there won't be any left to freeze especially  puddings mmmmmmmm my mouth is watering now lol . Hope everyone  is well and enjoying the sunshine
    We love the sunshine. 
  • MikeRNevin
    MikeRNevin Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    I have been reviewing things that I find helpful on my blog site. The latest are slippers and socks. Velcro open completely slippers and two sizes bigger, wide top socks. I also generally look at helpful things. http://howcaring.com
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    accept help...dont be a martyr!
  • MikeRNevin
    MikeRNevin Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    This is my latest review from my blog http://howcaring.com ideas to help in selecting bedpans and urine bottles.

The question on everyone’s lips is what bedpans and urine bottles do you buy? I’m sorry, but it would be top of your list if you were unable to go to the bathroom. But seriously these things are important to those of us limited with mobility and those who are Carers, paid and unpaid.

I’m a man, I feel like I should add, “ooh Betty I’m a man.” As I did love “Some mothers do ‘ave em.” So, I am limited in my knowledge of female toileting needs, I am married though. So, I will try and cover both. 

Let me start by saying I have a soft bottom. No, I’m not boasting, it’s a fact that results from spending a lot of time in bed. Therefore, bed pan shape and design are important. Let me take a step back here, if you’re reading this eating your breakfast, you are probably thinking, ‘what am I reading?’ If you are walking along reading on your phone; watch out for that lamp post! If you are reading this at work, what are you doing? Get back to work!

Design; just imagine if your job was designing bed pans. It’s a very valuable job, but not one you are likely to shout about. I digress, as usual. A good design of bedpan has a wide smooth seat with rounded edges, think about a conventional toilet seat. Then think about depth, maybe not something you want to think too deeply about, no pun intended. But you are going to be filling this bedpan and a certain depth is needed for clearance purposes, if you see what I mean. “You feel me?” Is a ‘street’ expression that may be appropriate here. Another consideration is for your poor Carers, how easy is it to clean out. One practical idea is to put a temporary paper lining in before use. Much easier to dispose of. One problem that will decide on the depth of pan you buy is your degree of mobility. The shallower the pan, the easier to roll onto it. At least bedpans are unisex, now onto urine bottles, oh joy.

‘Ten green bottles, hanging on the wall.’ You won’t need ten and they hopefully won’t be green, but a urine bottle hanger is a great idea. I found chromium plated ones on Amazon very reasonably priced for a set of two.

The bottles themselves take some consideration. Will you only use them in bed, or out and about? If only in bed, then it’s less important that they are totally leak proof when sealed. If out and about, you don’t want them to leak. Also note the cheapest ones have sharp edges around the opening. They can cause nasty scratches, ouch, I know from experience. Most urine bottles these days come with an add on female adaptor. It push-fits in the end, like a shaped funnel. Or you can buy a female only urine bottle. But the female only ones I’ve seen don’t have lids. Another consideration might be colour, do you want a see-through bottle? Or would you rather be more discreet if you have visitors or are out and about, you know bright red. Personally if you are a man and out in a wheelchair I recommend Conveens (See my blog ‘Not so public convenience’) If at home a urine bottle hanger enables you to hang the bottle on the side of your bed away from visitors.

I found that trial and error was necessary to get what worked for me. Having stayed in several Nursing homes I also got to try several styles of both.

May your experiences be good ones. It’s a difficult and embarrassing subject. I hope my attempts to lighten it have helped rather than hindered.

• April2018mom
    If you are going on vacation check out the Travelling with Disability forum on TripAdvisor. Full of tips and ideas. 

To order adapted clothing use this website http://www.disabled-clothing.co.uk/

If you are new to caring I recommend this site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/ Lots of useful information 
  • brydiedwards
    brydiedwards Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    This is probably well-known in the Scope community but as a theatre and music lover, when buying tickets I always call the venue (including festivals) to ask their policy as most offer an accompanying carer ticket for free :) 
    Oh and a little tip I learnt the hard way - learn your limits (physical or mental) and never apologise for sticking to them; only push yourself if you will gain personally and not just to 'keep up' with or avoid disappointing others.
  • April2018mom
    Here’s my useful tip

My partner wanted to see a musical in the fall (we love musicals and plays) for his 27th birthday. So last night we found this website when doing some informal research. You can see comments on the quality of the seats as well. 
    http://www.theatremonkey.com/
    It contains a ton of information on seats. You can even see seating plans on the site too. Very useful. Oh and there is even the chance to review the play or musical afterwards as well. I recommend this site. Prices are listed in addition. 

Going out for a meal in London?
    You will love this website. https://www.opentable.co.uk/london-restaurants
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Just recently discovered a way to open OXO cubes that don't leave you with sticky fingers.

Only works with fresh cubes - this is what I found in Morrisons last year.

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GettinOlde
    edited July 2019
    If you have a condensing tumble dryer, don't pour the condensate down the drain - save it to water your plants with.

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have a condensing tumble dryer, don't pour the condensate down the drain - save it to water your plants with.

Now you and I have water meters, this is a good tip. Thanks x
  • bluebob
    bluebob Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    I will tell the misses about that me thinks
  • April2018mom
    When growing fruit or vegetables, don’t be afraid to delegate jobs accordingly. 

• GettinOlde
    When growing fruit or vegetables, don’t be afraid to delegate jobs accordingly.
    You'll have to call in The Herbs.
  • GettinOlde
    Elsey66 said:
    Hair spray removes biro pen and felt pen from leather sofas, gloss furniture and laminated finishes. Spray on gently and dab with cotton tea towel. Discovered this when toddler almost ruined the sofa, purse friendly and does the trick. 
    What on earth possessed you to try hairspray - doesn't it damage the surfaces? Plus it is highly flammable. ?

• LindaButler1970
    LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi All

Reading your tips has been really useful. I can only add that when using public transport I always need to spend a penny and I am unable to hold it really these days, best thing I ever got hold of is my Radar key which has been a life saver for those needs. Can be purchased via Amazon for about £1.87 for one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=radar+key+for+disabled+toilets&crid=37AN0QAOD60P&sprefix=Rad%2Caps%2C187&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_3
  • jaja
    jaja Community member Posts: 76 Pioneering
    Great tips and ideas.

I have found something so thought I would share. I have just purchased a towel wrap. It is essentially a towel you wrap around yourself but with shoulder straps and button fastening. It looks nicer than I've made it sound.

If you cant manage a robe, suffer fatigue after showering or even need hands completely free this is worth a try.

• GettinOlde
    edited July 2019
    ... I always need to spend a penny and I am unable to hold it really these days ...
    My local authority has closed all but two public toilets in my home town of Bath, a world heritage city, and its outlying areas. When I first had to attend an appointment at the Job Centre after claiming UC, I was told the nearest toilets were in McDonald's.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks everyone for all these tips, really helpful! :)
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    jaja said:
    Great tips and ideas.

I have found something so thought I would share. I have just purchased a towel wrap. It is essentially a towel you wrap around yourself but with shoulder straps and button fastening. It looks nicer than I've made it sound.

If you cant manage a robe, suffer fatigue after showering or even need hands completely free this is worth a try.

I just got a towel wrap with velcro on the top from B&M's for about £6, it's not the most absorbent towel in the world, but great for handsfree wear when youre exhausted getting out of the shower!

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • LindaButler1970
    LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I find living with MS I have to be really mindful that I am unable to do the things I used to. Rather than being defeated I see this as little things I can do I'll spread it out over the week when it comes to cleaning I'll tackle on room at a time, and it may take a few days but I can do it, reward myself with a biscuit or cake and good thinking I've done this.   Preparing dinners I might chop things in the morning and tackle the rest later on in the day. Its all about adapting and not wearing yourself out.

Brightness