Wheelchair users and discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair users and discrimination

jenna01
jenna01 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi my name is Jenna and I am a new member. I come from Somerset but presently live in Devon where I am shocked at the way a lot of people  view wheelchair users. I have  suffered discrimination and treated  like an idiot  even though I have an Open University diploma in health and social welfare, a diploma in Counselling and half a dozen business management certificates.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jenna01

Good Morning & Welcome ? ?

I am one of the Community Champions here at Scope. 

I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation. 

In this day /age that shouldn't be the case!!!!

Don't worry as you have come to the right place. 

We are all here to "help/support" each other.

So please dive in and if you get stuck please let me know?????

@steve51
  • jenna01
    I live in a block of eight flats with a lift.My flat is on the top floor. The communal cleaner arrives and comes straight to the top floor and works his way down via the stairs. He frequently knocks the lift doors hovering  his way down, the lift remaining on the top floor. When the next person to use the lift  , the doors rattle during its journey up and down.  My next door neighbour stands outside my door moaning but never asks me  if I know anything about it. I recently heard a visitor he had telling someone that " the women next door bangs the lift with her wheelchair".  I complained to the property management that it was the cleaner , but no response. It really upsets me. I know it is ignorance on my neighbours behalf. I have to use the lift to get my post, but now only do that once a week as I am frightened of meeting him. I know a lot of people suffer discrimination , it is hurtful . I wish more could be done. People don't realize that what happened to me and thousands of others could happen to them at any given moment.
  • steve51
    Hi @jenna01

I’m very very sorry to hear about your problems with the lift in your block of flats.

Have you asked if you could have a ground floor flat???

Are you in council accommodation or private?????

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you with?????

@steve51

• jenna01
    Ha love it, have thought of that it really is a matter of ignorance. The cleaner knocks the doors, so they rattle when next used. I was the ideal culprit due to being in a wheelchair
     I can now happily say the ???? Has moved out probably to upset someone else's life and what goes around comes, it will come back on him, but thank you for your response, get minds!
  • steve51
    Hi @jenna01

That’s great to hear ? ??

No probs as long as you are happy ??

Yes “what goes around comes around”

Sounds good to me ???

@steve51
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jenna01 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear of your struggles in your block of flats and hope you are getting some peace and quiet now that your neighbour has moved on.  I agree, it is so frustrating when people discriminate against us.  Did you enjoy doing your courses?  I hope you enjoy your time on the Community.  It is a great place for sharing and meeting new friends.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • jenna01
    Hi Thank you for your response, yes I got a lot out of my courses  it feels like a real achievement as I hated school and  never did very well  , so to me this proves your never too old to learn.
  • ukssvictim
    ukssvictim Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Life is a journey not a destination...life is a continuous lesson...sometimes we come across class clowns it’s good that your neighbor has left the building!!! I use to live in Somerset just for a year though. Anyway just wanted to say hi there ?
  • jenna01
    Hi Thank you for saying Hi. Loved the quote
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    So glad to hear you are enjoying your courses, @jenna01:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    glad your awkward neighbour has moved out.
    pollyxx
  • jenna01
    Hi thank you, added bonus it is so peaceful 

Brightness