LCW New to this — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW New to this

Norfolk123
Norfolk123 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited July 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone, I'm very new to all this, sorry for the long post. I have oesteoarthritus and depression and anxiety and have trouble leaving my home. I am under pensionable age. I have not worked for the last 3 years and have lived off my savings. Earlier this year I  started a claim for UC. I have been provided Fit Notes from my doctor  which has not been a problem, I attended a work capability assessment yesterday. My doctor contacted them and requested a home visit for me, this was turned down and a taxi was booked for me to attend. I am very much alone with no family or friends. I was very distressed and tearful upon arriving at the centre and during the assessment. The gentleman did not ask me too many questions. I know that due to my being so upset that I did not give provide him with the correct answers which today I could. At the end he said that next time I have to insist on a home visit and they could not give one to me this time as my doctor did not write good enough reason. He also said that I will be expected to attend the Job Centre in the future. I was unable to ask any questions due to my anxiety I just wanted to get home and just kept apologising for being tearfull. I think but I of course I do not know , I will be put into the LCW part of UC, especially as he mentioned that next time I need to insist on a Home Visit. I have looked through your site all night to gain information. I really do not understand what the LCW means. I know that I am not capable for work at the moment or ever. Does anybody have any advise they could give me. Thank you so much for reading.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm not sure why the health assessment provider told you that yesterday but they are not supposed to tell you anything because it's not their decision. He will now write a report with recommendations in it and this will be sent to the DWP. A decision maker will eventually look at the report a make a decision from the recommendations in it.

Wait a week and ring UC to request a copy of that report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still have to wait for a decision though.

If you're not happy with the decision then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.

There's really no point looking into what was said to you yesterday because no decision's been made yet.

Once a decision is made if you need more advice then please do ask. Good luck and hopefully you're not waiting too long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hello @Norfolk123 and welcome to the community. 

As Poppy said, you can't read too much in to what they say as although the assessor makes recommendations, they don't make the decision. 
    If you are put into LCW it means they have accepted you have limited capacity for work and as such, they will tailor your work commitments to suit your needs. There isn't any additional money for LCW and they may ask you to begin undertaking courses to get you prepared for when you can return to the work place, but these are at your work coach's discretion. It also means if you do return to work, you'll be given a work allowance (an amount you can earn before your UC is reduced). If they decide to put you in LCWRA then they will give you an additional £336 a month with your Universal Credit and you'll be exempt from undertaking any work related activities as well. 

I hope that helps. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    Thank you Poppy and Adrian. I'm just really worried that due to my anxiety I did not give an accurate account on how my condition affects me. As anxious people are aware it just takes over, I will do as Poppy suggests and contact UC for a copy of the report. When you are on LCW is it for a certain period of time?, Im only thinking this by what the assessor said to me at the end that in future I would need a home visit. I just wish I could get my anxiousness under control so that it does not take over. Thank you both. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Hello again @Norfolk123. When your decision comes through, if you don't feel it accurately reflects your situation you can appeal it and supply more evidence of how your condition affects you. 
    Yes, all awards are subject to review, so if you are awarded LCW or LCWRA it'll be revied periodically, the length of time varies though so we couldn't specify when the next one would be. 
    Are you getting much support to help with your anxiety?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    I have a well being coach who comes to see me weekly re breathing exercises , mindfulness etc but when I had to leave my home the other day to attend the assessment centre I tried to do all the excercises but everything just over whelmed me. I was on my own and had to travel 20 miles to get there via taxi. I briefly explained to the taxi driver and he was brilliant , bless him. 
  • poppy123456
    If you are given either LCW or LCWRA then they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months, regardless of the time stated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Norfolk123
    Upon your advice I contacted UC for a copy of my WCA Report. It turned up this morning and states in there ' The Client was found to meet the criteria for Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity'. I am still awaiting formal notification will this be received by mail or on my online UC account. Kind regards  
  • poppy123456
    The decision letter will be uploaded on your journal. They mostly go with the report.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Norfolk123, that sounds very positive! Hopefully the official decision will be made soon. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    Thank you Poppy and Adrian, I am amazed.... I thought I may be put into the LCW group but will await the formal notification. Thank you again for your help and advice. This site is so informative.....
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm really glad you were able to get help here @Norfolk123. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.