Methotrexate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Methotrexate

Tra7cy
Tra7cy Community member Posts: 33 Connected
I've just started this treatment for RA nd have quite bad side affects after taking 2 doses which are every 7 days and iron tablets the other 6 days. I'm going for bloods on Friday which is ever 2 weeks for now. I'm wondering if anyone is taking this and should I ask for injections instead? Delicate hugs x

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tra7cy,  welcome to the ra club...  i have been on mtx for 18 months now, its a drug you have to have patience with. I started on tablets and had terrible side effects, mainly mouth ulcers, and i switched to metoject pens which helped.   Are you taking folic acid on non methotrexate days because that helps a little with the sickness. I would keep going a little longer if you can or if it is too bad to bear speak to your rheumy team.  I myself much prefer the injections ( and i am scared of needles) but i still feel wiped out for a couple of days, so its swings and roundabouts really.  I hope you start to feel better soon, sending a gentle hug x
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I've been on methotrexate for several years now.
    I take 25mg on Friday and the folic acid on the Sunday.
    I still feel sick and get light headed after all these years.
    I've only ever taken the tablet form but my dad had the injections, he said they had bad affects as well.
    But over all I do feel they do their job properly and I wouldn't stop taking them now.
    I have heard that some people lose their hair while taking them, I've gone quite bald anyway so can't really tell !!
  • KG100
    My GP wont issue methotrexate tablets unless you're up to date with your blood tests, he now does it when I have my warfarin tests because I kept putting them off !!
    You should also carry a "methotrexate alert card" they should give you one when you start it.
    Mine's in my wallet with my warfarin alert card. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I have experience of this. Hugs. Can you carry around a card that says you take this in your purse? I am sure you can get one ordered online. 
  • KG100
    I have experience of this. Hugs. Can you carry around a card that says you take this in your purse? I am sure you can get one ordered online. 
    The hospital or GP should issue you an official one. 
  • KG100
    I had my alert card sent to me about a month after starting the tablets. 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Hi I've been on methotrexate injections for 4 years. I take folic acid every other day. I sometimes suffer from mouth ulcers but found injections much more tolerable than tablets. LF went off once so dose was lowered but all well now. I'm also on anti-tnf therapy. My bloods were done 4 weekly but I asked if they could change to 6 weekly which is a bit easier to manage.

Brightness