meaningful work from home opportunities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

meaningful work from home opportunities

Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
Because of my health issues, I need to rest out of my wheelchair for large parts of the day, this mean that I am unable to work, I was wondering about work from home jobs, I have good computer skills, not keen on selling things or pressuring people on the phone.

I work for over 20 years and just feel frustrated at not being able to contribute to society, it also effect my relationnship as we cannot move in together or get married because I am on ESA which i would lose because my partners works.

I am also scared to commit to a job because I know how hard it can be to get benefits back again 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have a resume or not? Have you considered volunteering jobs? 
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    i do some volunteerning but I would like to get back into paid work again, i dont have a CV as such but could easily put one together 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I'm the same, @Garza . I haven't found any legit home-working opportunities that I can do that pay more than ~25p/hour, alas. Some ideas that I couldn't do, but you might be able to:
    - Online tutoring (usually requires a PGCE in the UK);
    - Tutoring at your home;
    - Reselling things on eBay (requires money to buy stock to sell, takes a lot of research to make sure you're buying the right stuff, etc.);
    - Being a virtual PA (usually requires certification/experience);
    - Proofreading (unclear whether requires certification, but excellent English necessary);
    - Copyediting (certification?);
    - Writing a blog;
    - Freelance writing for money.

Hope that helps?
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Garza, I used to do home-typing where I put an advert on Gumtree and did copy typing for people such as students.  I only did it for a few months and didn't make that much from it, but it was something that kept me busy for a while.  Now I complete online surveys which I enjoy and keeps me going, but again it doesn't make a fortune, just a few pennies here and there.  You can find a lot of online surveys if you Google them.  All the best in finding something.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck finding work. What are your skills and qualities? I’d also recommend finding books on employment at your local library or bookstore too. Have you tried looking online?
    Check the job section of your local paper, there are a limited number of vacancies there. Also use your contacts. I have been to some career events in the past.
    They were useful for making connections and finding information. Another way to find work is to directly contact the company. Do you have a resume or not? It’s best to ensure all bases are covered when job hunting. Talk to people. 
    Finally look at the website. Often there are job descriptions and person specifications posted there. Make sure to read them carefully noting any important keywords. Don’t feel afraid to ask questions.
    What experience do you have? Do you mind sharing a little about your personality, hobbies or interests? Stay positive. 
  • Ren_Scope
    Ren_Scope Scope Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi @Garza

I wondered how you are getting on?

If you would still like support with this, please get in touch with us at the Support to Work Service, where we can provide advice and guidance on this matter.

https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

All the best
    Ren
    Ren
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Ren_Scope said:
    Hi @Garza

I wondered how you are getting on?

If you would still like support with this, please get in touch with us at the Support to Work Service, where we can provide advice and guidance on this matter.

https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

All the best
    Ren
    Hi there, I'm also looking for home based work at the moment.  I can't seem to log in to the support to work service in that link - should it be the same email & password as this forum log in or do I need to make another account?  Thanks.
  • Ren_Scope
    Ren_Scope Scope Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

You would need to click on the link and register.  You will not be able to access it with your online community details.  It will ask you for your email and ask you to enter a password.

Thanks,
    Ren 
    Ren
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness