Mentioning Condition at Interviews-Please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mentioning Condition at Interviews-Please help

redchicken43
redchicken43 Community member Posts: 48 Pioneering
I find myself back in the market to find a new job after 25 years at my previous employer who on the most part were very good to me. However, I still don't really know how to face the challenges of the interview situation. Certainly would not mention my condition (mild CP) on my CV and getting to the interview stage hasn't always been a problem. However, I have noticed people's faces drop when they see me sometimes and can't hide their disappointment. So option 1) Carry on as I always have done and see if they overlook my very obvious disability or option 2)  Simply start the interview with a quick explanation. Really looking for advice from those who have had success and the approach that they have taken.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi as an ex hr manager having done lots of recruiting I would suggest being up front and when you are asked to introduce yourself make short reference to your condition e.g. what it is and how long you have had it. This will show you are being open and honest . If they want to know more they can ask . 
    That's my opinion and I know as a recruiter would be something I would appreciate the candidate having done 

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally no. If it is not affecting your ability don’t discuss it until after the interview. 
  • Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    Hi @redchicken43 ,
    I understand your concerns, however as a paraplegic wheelchair user from birth ,  I would personally, mention your CP.  Do it in a  positive context on your application form. I would also not be afraid to address it positively at interview.  I might not mention it on a CV unless it is beneficial to do so, but what you put on a CV is more of a personal choice than what you should put on an application form. 

The reason I feel you should mention it on teh Application is that, you will probably get the "do you consider yourself to have a disability?" question on this form, which is a tricky one...... but you probably do consider your self disabled (I do.... you have CP, I have Spina Bifida) and there might be good reasons that your employer requires this information. 

What I mean is, you may feel that saying NO to this question is the positive thing to do that will give you the best chance of being employed, but think about why they are asking it.... In answering no, would you be saying that you are exactly the same as all your potential colleagues in every situation and do not require and additional consideration such as a Personal evacuation plan and you will not require any reasonable adjustments at any point?   

If this is true and your CP is so slight that you have never and will never require your employer to consider it an issue, then maybe you should say no on the application form, but be prepared to address it at interview anyway. 

With me, my wheelchair is a give away and saying I don't consider myself to have a disability and not asking for level access at interview etc is more likely to not get me employed than disclosing it.  Obviously you and I are different, but don't just day no because you think its the right thing to do, think of all the permitations first.
    Good luck!   
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redchicken43, and thank you for bringing up such an important topic around employment.

Disclosing your disability can seem daunting and knowing when to do this is tricky. Luckily there is no wrong or right way about doing this and it is about what you would be most comfortable doing.

This Scope article on 'Mentioning your disability in your application' may be helpful :)
    Scope

• redchicken43
    Thanks for all the feedback, albeit a bit conflicting. I think I’ll go with mentioning at the interview from now on just to make them at ease. At the end of the day if they have any kind of bias then I have nothing to lose.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a tricky issue, isn’t it? Do what you feel is best. That is my sole bit of advice. But be honest with them. What does your heart tell you? Definitely check out the article @Chloe_Scope posted. 
  • redchicken43
    Thanks again everybody- I think I’m probably not alone in saying this but it has often been my experience that it’s a case of finding somebody who will give me ‘a job’ rather than something that is entirely within my control.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @redchicken43, I understand how much of a hard decision it is. There is no wrong way of doing it, just what you'd be most comfortable with doing! :)
    Scope

• redchicken43
    Well I have had 5 interviews in the last 3 weeks where I have tried a mixture of telling people and not. No offers yet, but I was to get any of the roles it would really to be interesting to get some feedback from the interviewer. I’ve had a couple though where they looked really uncomfortable and couldn’t wait to get rid of me!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @redchicken43. I'm sorry you've not yet had any luck. Don't forget you can ask for feedback whether you're successful or not, which can be really useful for future interviews!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness