Carers Week — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Week

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
All week on the community, one of our themes is Carers Week. To raise awareness of the needs of carers and promote Carers UK's campaign for Fairer for Carers, we've put together a range of content that celebrates and supports the carers on our community, so why not:
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,
    Thanks to the Scope team for bringing the theme of Carers Week to the fore and featuring all of the above.  Hadn't heard of the Fairer for Carers campaign before and just read about it.  The Scottish Government have been good enough to recognise the difficult role of Carers up here and put up Carers Allowance recently by an extra £8.50, but it is only fair that other UK carers receiving this benefit get recognised in the same way.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm my son s carer and he is my carer. I never thought about it this way until my c p n pointed it out to me. As a mum, I'm just doing my job. However, as my son has some mental health issues then I'm his carer too apparently!  I'm not sure if this is common or not?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @debbiedo49, that's actually very common and I've spoken to lots of parents who feel the same and are sometimes reluctant to apply for things like Carer's Allowance because to them, they're just being a parent. I always point out that with the recognition as a carer and the addition of Carer's Allowance, it can open up other avenues of support both for them and their child. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Ails said:
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,
    Thanks to the Scope team for bringing the theme of Carers Week to the fore and featuring all of the above.  Hadn't heard of the Fairer for Carers campaign before and just read about it.  The Scottish Government have been good enough to recognise the difficult role of Carers up here and put up Carers Allowance recently by an extra £8.50, but it is only fair that other UK carers receiving this benefit get recognised in the same way.  :smile:
    Hi, the £8.50 extra you mention, do you mean per hour, or per shift, or something else? Thankyou x
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    sorry...I think I get you about the extra money for carers...it`s care allowance...I should have read it properly! I was thinking of carers paid by Direct Payments. All clear now thanks. x

Brightness