Hi I am new here — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I am new here

Amber85
Amber85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am new here - I am 34 years old.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism/underactive thyroid in 2011 but did not receive treatment for this until 2013 when I developed myxoedema (severe hypothyroidism)

I have recently been experiencing myxoedema madness/psychosis (psychosis caused by severe hypothyroidism) which can worsen during periods of acute stress.

I informed a previous employer I had hypothyroidism and she said "you're too thin and young to have that" - back then I was 31. The hypothyroidism when not very well treated has been known to affect my thoughts, memory, information retention, stamina, weight, digestion, energy and also my ability to drive. I was involved in 2 car accidents the same year and in 2017 my stepdad has been telling other people I had a nervous breakdown.

I have got support from a previous employer (I regard him as a friend because he has been very positive and encouraging regarding this and he and I are still in touch since he works the other side of the building to me) and he told me when he took me off for a chat "not everyone has illnesses that others can see."

However today I had a psychotic episode which caused a fellow employee to make hurtful comments about my behaviour. I can suffer paranoia and become quick to anger but then fall into a really low depressive state before feeling any better.

I have an endocrinologist appointment coming up in 2 weeks and I do want to tell the consultant about this issue. The only thing is that back in 2011 my GP did not medicate me for the hypothyroidism (I had iron deficiency anaemia as well at the time which also wasn't dealt with) and I was given a diagnosis of general anxiety disorder.

I just feel like if I tell the consultant about the psychotic episode in a couple of weeks I'll be seen as someone who is mentally unstable and I am very upset about the whole thing.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome!
    Feel free to look around the site. If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to ask them. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amber85 welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear what you've been experiencing, I understand your concern. I was in a similar position a few years ago with regards to vitamin B12 deficiency/iron deficiency, the doctor who originally diagnosed me with it did not treat it.

I moved to a different county and my anxiety was at an all time high, which had a knock on effect on my iron deficiency. I couldn't breathe properly, all I did was sleep. I was worried that my new doctor would just pinpoint it all on my anxiety but blood tests confirmed that my iron definitely needed to be treated ASAP.

She was more angry with the previous doctor for not treating me.

When you see the consultant, tell them everything. They will get to the bottom of it :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Amber85
    Amber85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ami2301 said:
    Hi @Amber85 welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear what you've been experiencing, I understand your concern. I was in a similar position a few years ago with regards to vitamin B12 deficiency/iron deficiency, the doctor who originally diagnosed me with it did not treat it.

I moved to a different county and my anxiety was at an all time high, which had a knock on effect on my iron deficiency. I couldn't breathe properly, all I did was sleep. I was worried that my new doctor would just pinpoint it all on my anxiety but blood tests confirmed that my iron definitely needed to be treated ASAP.

She was more angry with the previous doctor for not treating me.

When you see the consultant, tell them everything. They will get to the bottom of it :)

Hi Ami2301 and thank you for your reply. :)

My iron deficiency was so-say treated in 2018 with an iron infusion since it falls drastically low after menstrual periods. As far as I know my iron stores (ferritin) when last checked in Jan 2019 were well above range at 328 but my MCV falls below range. Periods deplete my iron stores by 40 points per period so I think the iron might be ok - it would really need checking again to be fair and the GP is meant to be checking it every 2 months, it hasn't been monitored it at all.

I do take quarterly B12 injections for functional B12 deficiency but I had the last one in Feb 2019 - they hurt for one thing and as well as that the surgery can never fit me in after I finish work. The only times they have offered me are too early for me to do anything about since I catch a shuttle bus chartered by the company I work for. I really want to do down the route of self-injecting but I have such a low pain threshold.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have quarterly B12 injections too. Sometimes they sting and sometimes they don't. I can totally empathise with you there! Do you have to see your doctor for them to administrate or is a nurse able to do it? I see nurses as they are a bit more flexible with appointments.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Amber85  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Amber85, if you need anything then please give us a shout :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Amber85 and a warm welcome to the community. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amber85 and welcome to the Community.  Thank you for sharing with us.  It is nice to meet you.  Sorry to hear about your struggles.  You have come to the right place for support.  I hope the appointment with your consultant goes well.  If you feel there is anything we can help you with then please just give us a shout.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness