Can LCWRA be backdated? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can LCWRA be backdated?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    It doesn't matter if it's the same condition or not, because it's a review, it's from the date of the decision. The same rules apply to those claiming ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I have a feeling they don't send letters for UC WCA decisions. This is because the decision will be on your journal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    They don't often post hard copies of letters, but they usually upload a copy of the decision letter to your journal.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sarahjayne79
    sarahjayne79 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My condition has gotten worse since the last time I went to a f2f. They told me on the journal, but doesn't say how long I have it for. The lcw was only for 6 months but was back dated for over a year. I have fibromyalgia, it's never going to get better. It says they have posted a letter and it will tell me if I will get any back dated money or not. Plus hopefully tell me how long I have the lcwra for. 
  • poppy123456
    There's never any length of time on any award letter for the WCA, for this you'll need to ring UC and ask. This is because you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.
  • kityrs
    kityrs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited August 2019
    Hiya , late to this thread but I work very few hours.  I have many health conditions. I’m on universal credit and they put me forward for the work capability assessment after a few health issues. I had my assment in June and got a letter on my journal a couple days ago saying I’ve been awarded the limited capability for work and work related activity part. I just wondered I’ve seen a lot of people saying you wait 4 months for the additional payment , nothing like that’s has been mentioned on my award letter. My next uc payment is 17th , Is it likely to Be included or I have to wait 4 months from the decision? 

Sorry long winded thank you for any help. ????
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    kityrs said:
    Hiya , late to this thread but I work very few hours.  I have many health conditions. I’m on universal credit and they put me forward for the work capability assessment after a few health issues. I had my assment in June and got a letter on my journal a couple days ago saying I’ve been awarded the limited capability for work and work related activity part. I just wondered I’ve seen a lot of people saying you wait 4 months for the additional payment , nothing like that’s has been mentioned on my award letter. My next uc payment is 17th , Is it likely to Be included or I have to wait 4 months from the decision? 

Sorry long winded thank you for any help. ????
    HI,

Great news.

Yes, there's a waiting period of 3 months for the LCWRA from the date you sent in your first fit note. This means that the extra £336 is paid from the 4th month of your claim. If the decision took longer than this time then you'll be backdated any money owed.

• kityrs
    kityrs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I believe the first time I sent a sick not in was back at the end of April so should be in next month payment I think if I understood correctly. 

Thank you 
  • Josy
    Josy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi sorry for another jumper in but feel so confused. 
    Been claiming uc since April 2018 with my partner handing in sick notes. Only this year He was called for an assessment which would have done at the beginning if we knew! So this April was assessed then had the letter in June to say He has been awarded extra money for LCW. I was told by uc that after the 13 week period the payments will be starting in our August pay. BUT the statement had nothing on so i rang uc in which they now say we will have payments in September! Is this right??? I feel uc has not been honest with us. They tell me one thing then not do it. Why can't I be told the right date when the payments will start? Help?! 
  • poppy123456
    Josy said:
    Hi sorry for another jumper in but feel so confused. 
    Been claiming uc since April 2018 with my partner handing in sick notes. Only this year He was called for an assessment which would have done at the beginning if we knew! So this April was assessed then had the letter in June to say He has been awarded extra money for LCW. I was told by uc that after the 13 week period the payments will be starting in our August pay. BUT the statement had nothing on so i rang uc in which they now say we will have payments in September! Is this right??? I feel uc has not been honest with us. They tell me one thing then not do it. Why can't I be told the right date when the payments will start? Help?! 
    Hi,

If the decision was LCW then because the claim started after April 2017 then there won't be any extra money each month. If the decision was LCWRA then backdated money will be from the 4th month of the claim from when the first fit note was sent.
  • Josy
    Poppy, I think it is LCWRA as they said how much he will be getting extra and that he does not need to hand in any more doc notes or do anything until they get in touch in future. 
    When you say from when the first fit note does that mean from April 2018 or when they sent him for assessment this April? 
  • poppy123456
    Please take a look at the journal again to see if it says Limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) if it's this then £336 per month is paid from the 4 month after the first fit note was sent. This means that if the first one was sent in April 2018 then he will be backdated to August 2018.

If the decision was made in June and it's definitely LCWRA then they should have paid the backdated money by now and added the extra element onto the monthly amount.
  • Josy
    Poppy thank you for your help. I looked and it is LCWRA with that amount. UC told me it will be in the September payment which I think it should have been this month. I have a feeling they counted 4 months from April this year so it missed August payment date. Thank you again I know it is late in the night. 
  • poppy123456
    Josy said:
     I have a feeling they counted 4 months from April this year so it missed August payment date. Thank you again I know it is late in the night. 
    If this is what they've done this is not correct, if fit notes were being sent continuously since April 2018.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Josy and welcome to the community. It does sound as though they have counted from April this year and not April 2018 when you started handing the fit notes in. It should be the from the first assessment period after 3 FULL assessment periods of handing the fit note in. 
    I hope you manage to get this resolved quickly. Let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    Norfolk123 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Good Morning, I have recently been awarded LCWRA and I have just phoned UC as I have not received a letter from them (after 7days as stated informing me of backdated award). The lady told me that they do not send out these letters if you are not due any backdated money. My query is my claim started on 5th April this year and I have provided sick notes since then (I now no longer need to) surely the extra money should be due from July and not August as I have just been informed? I'm confused LOL x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Norfolk123.
    What is your assessment period and what date did you first declare a fit note? I can try and help you calculate this. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    My Fit note started 3rd April and I was assessed on 16th July. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited August 2019
    Hi @Norfolk123. I'm not a benefits expert, but from my understanding, it’s 3 full assessment periods before first payment.

You said your claim started on the 5th April, so I assume your assessment periods are 5th to the 4th. As long as you declared your fit note (dated 3rd April) at the start of your claim I believe it'd work like this:
    5th April - 4th May: No LCWRA
    5th May - 4th June: No LCWRA
    5th June - 4th July: No LCWRA
    5th July - 4th August: First LCWRA payment (which should be paid around 11th August.)

In your 11th August payment I believe you should receive your £336.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Norfolk123
    Thank you Adrian, that's what I thought, My payment date is the 7th of each month so I would have missed it being added to the July - August payment,I will see what happens on the 7th September payment. Thank you once again for your help x 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.