Make everyone with a lifelong disability, mental of physical have lifetime PIP! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Make everyone with a lifelong disability, mental of physical have lifetime PIP!

Comments

• bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
  • elbest
    elbest Community member Posts: 37 Connected
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Hello yesssssss 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Signed 
    I do like this bit - 

However, PIP already recognises that for the most severely disabled claimants, the award review process could seem unnecessarily intrusive. That is why we introduced changes so that existing claimants with the most severe, lifetime disabilities, whose functional ability has remained the same, are more likely to have their evidence reviewed by a DWP Decision Maker and will not need to have a face-to-face assessment with a healthcare professional.

I wonder who would be classed as the '
    most severely disabled claimants'?

Let's be honest with my problems at 70, none of which will ever improve and are life limiting, a 3 year award was the norm!! 

• Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    Signed 
    I do like this bit - 

However, PIP already recognises that for the most severely disabled claimants, the award review process could seem unnecessarily intrusive. That is why we introduced changes so that existing claimants with the most severe, lifetime disabilities, whose functional ability has remained the same, are more likely to have their evidence reviewed by a DWP Decision Maker and will not need to have a face-to-face assessment with a healthcare professional.

I wonder who would be classed as the 'most severely disabled claimants'?

Let's be honest with my problems at 70, none of which will ever improve and are life limiting, a 3 year award was the norm!! 
    Thank you for signing, as like you my degenerative conditions have not get any better, a DM in 2012 said ‘I could only walk up to 20 metres’ then at my appeal in March I can walk 20 to 50 metres. I got standard PIP for 3 years, which is due to be renewed in 18 months, dreading it!!!! 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Shlbly said:

Thank you for signing, as like you my degenerative conditions have not get any better, a DM in 2012 said ‘I could only walk up to 20 metres’ then at my appeal in March I can walk 20 to 50 metres. I got standard PIP for 3 years, which is due to be renewed in 18 months, dreading it!!!! 
    Three times I have had a face to face assessment since 2013 and each time they and the DWP state that I can walk 200 metres. Yet I was assessed by the spinal unit at the hospital on their walking machine and could only manage 10 metres before falling off it! The DWP eventually relented twice and awarded me EHM. After the third time I was fed up and gave up. 
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    Shlbly said:

Three times I have had a face to face assessment since 2013 and each time they and the DWP state that I can walk 200 metres. Yet I was assessed by the spinal unit at the hospital on their walking machine and could only manage 10 metres before falling off it! The DWP eventually relented twice and awarded me EHM. After the third time I was fed up and gave up. 
    I’ve had two, first time in 2013 IB to ESA lost everything, was in bed and had been four days prior, but the Atos assessor said all was OK, this was overturned thankfully. Then February 2017 for DLA to PIP made a big effort to get up, was in pyjamas and he lied about so many things too. Some days I physically cannot walk at all, other days very weak and wobbly. Haven’t had a good day in years now.  And while all this has been going on, had six appointment letters re ESA, when we had asked for a home visit. Then all of a sudden that stopped and was told put in support group again till September, funny how I get SDP on that, but standard on PIP.
    Dont give up, that’s what they want us to do, get help, even write to your MP we have. It’s disgusting what they put disabled people through. Putting in a new claim now for PIP so going through it all again, as have new diagnosis’s and three referrals back to MH in last nine months, even though I have ‘some mental health’ it said in appeal. Grrr it makes me so annoyed all this!

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Time this stuff about walking was stopped.
    I see so many posts about it mostly it just confuses both the people and the staff.
    I beleive with most people it differs day to day.
    Need to write to our Mps 
  • sh_dns
    sh_dns Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited August 2019
    Hi all, I am doing my dissertation research on the switch from DLA to PIP. As a disabled student who had to go through this rather degrading process (after being awarded life long DLA due to the extent of my disability) I have decided to do my own research on this and the opinion of other disabled people and their feelings towards the change and how they feel society views them as a whole. I will soon be looking for volunteers to talk to me about it if anyone would be interested. 

Thank you! 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    sh_dns said:
    Hi all, I am doing my dissertation research on the switch from DLA to PIP. As a disabled student who had to go through this rather degrading process (after being awarded life long DLA due to the extent of my disability) I have decided to do my own research on this and the opinion of other disabled people and their feelings towards the change and how they feel society views them as a whole. I will soon be looking for volunteers to talk to me about it if anyone would be interested. 

Thank you! 
    Hi, I`ve just sent in my PIP claim forms. well 3 weeks ago and awaiting a response.
    I am 66, been on DLA, full for care and mobility, since 2000. I will never get better. I`ll take part in your research once I know what`s happening.
    People keep telling me I`ll be ok...wont believe that till I get the letter!
  • sh_dns
    Thank you so much for agreeing to help me. I will be in contact as soon as I have began my dissertation. 

Its an incredibly stressful situation to go through when it comes to the transition from DLA to PIP. I hope you get the result you need. 

Thanks again! 
  • Dithreabhach
    Dithreabhach Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    I've got physical and mental health issues. Currently on ESA Support Group. Been recommended to apply for PIP - but dreading it. I have a "Support Worker" who I had to resource myself and recently found out he is best friends with someone who abused me on Facebook. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I tell organization I no longer want him as SW which entails telling them why or do I just cancel my connection with them and face life without help? He is a decent guy but what happens if weren't in town together and we bump into the guy who abused me? Newcastle-upon-Tyne is poorly served with helpful agencies especially for more mature folks such as myself.
  • sh_dns
    I wouldn’t go without support because someone abused you, that’s not your fault. If it would make you feel uncomfortable knowing your SW is best friends with the abuser, I would recommend asking for a new one. You can always say it’s due to personal issues, do you need to give the exact reason? I hope this works out for you! 

Brightness