Student finance. is this taken into account for esa purposes? Will i lose my esa? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Student finance. is this taken into account for esa purposes? Will i lose my esa?

j9wright
j9wright Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I'm a new (even tho I'm old) member. A little bit about myself, I'm single and currently claim income related esa and severe disability premium. I also claim standard rate PiP. Obviously these go hand in hand with HB and council tax support. 
I was awarded PiP easily but had to fight for esa, i was finally put in the support group and since its all sorted now, its a huge relief. However, i have secured a place at uni (you're never too old to learn, right?). Really looking forward to it as i did an access course last year and loved it. My problem is student finance.....if i start and receive maintainace loan, is this taken into account for esa purposes? Will i lose my esa?
I already know about housing benefit and PiP, its just esa that i cant seem to get a definitive answer!!!
Any help gratefully recieved x

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @j9wright and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thanks for sharing with us.  Congratulations on your place at uni!  That's fab!  What are you going to be studying?  You are right in saying that anyone is never to old to learn.  Glad you enjoyed your access course.  I did one too before going to uni and loved it!  I'm afraid that I don't know much about ESA so am unable to provide you with any information, sorry!  However, there will be other members or someone from the Community Team who will be able to advise  you best on this.  I hope you find your answer anyway.  Let us know how you get on with your studies and the best of luck with it.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • j9wright
    j9wright Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Its health and social care, mental health nursing, although my focus will be on counselling/psychotherapy.
    Well, that's the aim, I'm just hoping the financial side won't let me down x
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh sounds really interesting.  I hope you enjoy it.  Yes, I hope you get something sorted financially too.  Good luck with it!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @j9wright! :)

I have answered your question here: https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/62811/student-finance-and-the-affect-this-has-on-esa-sdp-and-pip#latest

If there is anything else we can do to help, then please do let us know!
    Scope

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @j9wright

Welcome & Well Done!!!!!!

That sounds really good I do hope that all goes okay ?????

I do hope that your question has been answered above???

Please let me know if there’s anything else that we can help you with????!

@steve51

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.