Home visit request completely ignored. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home visit request completely ignored.

Tobias
Tobias Posts: 46 Courageous
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
In my claim i mentioned not being able to get to the assessment...and stated im more than happy for them to approach my Drs.
I received an app for 2nd sept 26 miles away from me and 45 min away from a train station.

I called 1 adviser and he said they had approached the gp and was waiting for info.
2nd adviser said thats not true(this i know as i called my gp and they have no record at all concerning UC)
3rd and final adviser said its all down to me...I have to get a gp to include my details and why i cannot attend in the field interview/

My surgery are more than happy to assist..ironically my main Gp bless her, is having a well deserved vacation...so another gp will write the letter....not sure if this is going to cost me...nothing was said at the gps...

Is this protocol about right for UC?  i thought they contacted my gp's....it seems theyve totally ignored my application evidence.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it’s sent to support your claim.

The 3rd person you spoke to us correct. You need to send a letter from your GP staying the reasons why you can’t attend an assessment centre. Do be aware that if you attend other appointments then this can go against you for a home assessment.

They will pay for a taxi also but you do need to get this agreed beforehand. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tobias
    Hi,

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on you to make sure it’s sent to support your claim.

The 3rd person you spoke to us correct. You need to send a letter from your GP staying the reasons why you can’t attend an assessment centre. Do be aware that if you attend other appointments then this can go against you for a home assessment.

They will pay for a taxi also but you do need to get this agreed beforehand. Good luck.
    Thank you..

Would i need to pay for the taxi first? then be reimbursed !   Lastly.Do pip do home visits? and the same process apply?

Thanks for your help.
  • Tobias
    Hi,

In what way does it go against me?   its almost like a game of chess isnt it...one wrong move!

My request for home visit is that i have no one available to take me...Plus , i cannot travel on numerous buses..even one would involve standing for far to long...and without going into every detail...very much not possible for me...Could you just clarify please...what could go against me and why?
  • poppy123456
    The reason it can go against you is simply because if you can attend other appointments they can say that you can attend the assessment centre.

Yes, you would need to pay for the taxi first, keep receipts and then claim it back.

The PIP process is the same, a letter is needed from your GP and attending other appointments can also go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tobias
    The reason it can go against you is simply because if you can attend other appointments they can say that you can attend the assessment centre.

Yes, you would need to pay for the taxi first, keep receipts and then claim it back.

The PIP process is the same, a letter is needed from your GP and attending other appointments can also go against you.
    Right! i see your point.....Without splitting hairs and so forth....I can attend local appointments as they are within 1/3rd of a mile..Its 26+ miles to this UC assessment...I may be wrong but the DWP seem to not noticed variables and these types of factors.....As far as i can tell with my condition(i'll never stop trying,but have been informed its a life long condition) i'll never be able to attend an appointment if its that far and i never had a car...Its in part the sheer fact that without help i cant attend...not sure what to do..as it makes me realise they may even use this genuine innocent request against me...
  • Tobias
    edited August 2019

Hey! i just noticed something....how the UC see things...Its much like the finger test....The ridiculous notion that ,that 1-2 second pull means youre somehow fit..and the walking from the car to assessment office..means you are fit..

I know its not entirely that clear cut...but its apparent to me unless its so clear cut....theyll always be seeing 2 sides...Its especially tricky if you have variable ability...better days etc.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    Isn't there a work capability assessment centre closer to where you live? Put your postcode into this and it will tell you where your nearest one is. If there's on closer then you can request that one.

First appointments are sometimes computer generated and it will send out the first available appointment within a certain mile radious. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/find-your-assessment-centre

If you're claiming for mobilising then they will take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair, so you'll need to consider that too and whether you can do this. If you can't then why.
  • Tobias
    Isn't there a work capability assessment centre closer to where you live? Put your postcode into this and it will tell you where your nearest one is. If there's on closer then you can request that one.

First appointments are sometimes computer generated and it will send out the first available appointment within a certain mile radious. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/find-your-assessment-centre

If you're claiming for mobilising then they will take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair, so you'll need to consider that too and whether you can do this. If you can't then why.
    I used a stick....but havent pushed myself beyond maybe 100metres ...Ever! in the last 12yrs...

Sounds funny to say,but i mostly sit on sofa with laptop....get up and try and stretch...stand...get the blood moving.,...then sit again!...Ive tried all the progressive movements...pacing....but whatever ive managed in the last 12yrs hasnt changed much..infact as im aging its progressively worsening....Include the ibs....and truly having to know where the public loo is....its all factored in ,with long journeys....I tend to stop eating a day before apps....
  • Tobias

Excellent link!     i just checked and all 3 are approx 20-26 miles.

I'll hopefully have help from the gp, but i sensed(maybe paranoia on my part) that this agitated them on the phone..so will try my best to find a lift with some one..
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tobias, I hope you will be able to get this sorted. Maybe a closer centre would be more beneficial?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.