Applying for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Applying for PIP

YorkshireChris
YorkshireChris Community member Posts: 13 Connected
I am applying for PIP for the first time. I have just got the forms through but due to being neurodiverse forms can be a struggle. Could anybody give me advice on filling them in, please? Do I need to go into a lot of detail?
Best wishes,

Chris 

Comments

• michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Ask someone who knows you well to help and describe a day as if it is one of your really bad days. Good luck.
  • YorkshireChris
    YorkshireChris Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Thank you for your help. I tend to overthink these things haha
    Best wishes,

Chris 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @YorkshireChris. There's some information on our website here: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/tips-for-completing-pip-form/ and a guide on the CAB website which may help you a little. 

Hopefully some more of our members can share their experiences with you too.

Best of luck. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I wouldn't advise basing anything on a really bad day, that's not what PIP is about. PIP is about how your affected at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period. If you base it on just your bad days then during a face to face assessment if you're having one of your better days then the HCP is very likely going to see straight through this and may think " if this is one of your bad days then you can't be as bad as you say you are" always be honest.

Give as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you for each descriptor that applies. Adding some real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you will also help.

Send any evidence you have with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

If you need extra time to return the form then you can ring and ask for a further 14 days. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    michfinch said:
    Ask someone who knows you well to help and describe a day as if it is one of your really bad days. Good luck.
    May I say that I have been told by benefit advisors NOT to fill your form in as if it was a bad day. PIP watch out for this and can spot it a mile off and go against you.
    pollx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.