gaynorwishes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

gaynorwishes

Options
gaynorwishes
gaynorwishes Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited August 2019 in Work and employment
Hi I've been referred to occupational health. I've been asking since October 2019. Finally they have agreed. My people partner wanted a letter stating what I wanted to gain from OH. So I have passed my letter to him.
I have endometriosis, CFS, chronic constipation, intra Intusseption, ovarian cyst. I'm due a major op this year. Which I will have a temporary colostomy and ileostomy. 
I work in a very big supermarket.
I'm really struggling what to say to the OH on the dsy. Up to now I have said extra breaks and going on checkouts instead of filling and pulling heavy 4 side cages about. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @gaynorwishes
    In an ideal world what would your working day look like? What would make your life easier regarding your illnesses? 
    On the gov website, here are some examples they give of reasonable adjustments at work:

Reasonable adjustments include:

• changing the recruitment process so a candidate can be considered for a job
    • doing things another way, such as allowing someone with social anxiety disorder to have their own desk instead of hot-desking
    • making physical changes to the workplace, like installing a ramp for a wheelchair user or an audio-visual fire alarm for a deaf person
    • letting a disabled person work somewhere else, such as on the ground floor for a wheelchair user
    • changing their equipment, for instance providing a special keyboard if they have arthritis
    • allowing employees who become disabled to make a phased return to work, including flexible hours or part-time working
    • offering employees training opportunities, recreation and refreshment facilities
    You mention having a colostomy or ileostomy, so would it benefit you to have easy access to toilets? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness