Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Options

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for this @Birdsnbees! Some very good tips!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hello @Birdsnbees   Thank you for sharing this.  All true very informative 

About two years ago put call screening on all devices.

Marvellous, wonderful.  Helps me to identify callers before they start asking the one and only for advice, guidance and anything else.

As a Christian do have a heart and do help many people as I can.

Many are like my self.  Have mental health issues or have disabilities or conditions.

Some have been disabled and are struggling to adapt. Even so in this world of some people are selfish.

Self centred I show them how not to be.  Has to be some gratitude some respect. Not all about thinking of your own needs.

My time and energy my knowledge and expertise.

So have and done the caller screening.

Although any one who does ring exceptions being those need the knowledge and some times education of budgeting or food planning get that.

Not as was requested by one caller.  Just give me some food will get a negative response and will not engage.

Actually was getting this a lot last few years . I think due to the food bank situation so have and do am cautious who rings. Some have been no one I know.

Starts off I am a friend of you know him .  Need some help. Has been money never done that. Although if they do have done in the past caught me off guard. Been vulnerable there the ones causing them selves pain.

Because there the ones hurting .  Stealing or using the persuasion to obtain deceit only end in problems for them selves.

Have been a victim of mate crime and hate crime.

I have a while ago also got tired and rid of those who bleed me , use me and consider me a friend but only when they need or want anything. 

Has to be done for my own sanity.  Had this feeling of removing their names from my phone book.  Relief.

One other point if you have a landline like me as well as a mobile. Give your mobile first not your private line.

I learnt this.

Then if you wish to trust them over time . Then give private line.  

Thank you for kind comments regarding my food tips and anything else much appreciated.

This what I do to any one who rings me if they do.  Just some advice and guidance.

We can learn from each other be supportive.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • LindaButler1970
    LindaButler1970 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    I trully believe in being good to yourself, it you need to rest then do it, so many people feel guilty but really don't.  :)
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Options
    A very profound 'parable' submitted by @Swordfish in this thread that I thought deserved to appear here also.

Swordfish said:

There is an old Cherokee Indian story about The White Wolf And The Black Wolf.

A group of Cherokee children has gathered around their grandfather. They are filled with excitement and curiousity. That day there had been a quite tumultuous conflict between two adults and their grandfather was called to mediate. The children are eager to hear what he has to say about it.

One of the children pops the question that puzzles him. “Grandfather, why do people fight?”.

“Well” the old man replies “we all have two wolves inside us, you see. They are in our chest. And these wolves are constantly fighting each other”.

The eyes of the children have grown big by now. “In our chests too, grandfather?” asks another child. “And in your chest too?” asks a third one.

He nods, “yes, in my chest too”.He surely has their attention now.

Grandfather continues. “There is a white wolf and a black wolf. The black wolf is filled with fear, anger, envy, jealousy, greed, and arrogance. The white wolf is filled with peace, love, hope, courage, humility, compassion, and faith. They battle constantly”.

Then he stops. It’s the child that asked the initial question that can’t handle the tension anymore. “But grandfather, which wolf wins?”.

The old Cherokee simply replies, “the one that we feed”.

It reminds me of the Yin and Yang belief and is a great morality guide when making some life choices.
    Must admit I have a little black wolf in me but I try not to feed it too much. o:)

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    Options

@thespiceman you are welcome

Call screening sounds a good idea

Agree re self centred ness - some have this attitude of survival which involves cutting down your neighbour. Heard a great analogy recently - some people build themselves up, others knock people down to make them look bigger.

Help someone else when you can and it comes back to you

Sometimes you have to let people help themselves. Give them the tools and they decide. Glad you found relief from cutting people from your life.

Linda I agree, need to honour yourself before others can honour you.

GettinOlde like the parable, I like how to helps you to see how you behave and treat others is a choice and only one that you get to make. Also how bad people are not bad people inherently it’s the choices they make. Obvs if someone is always showing you a bad wolf when you’ve called them up about it its time to say bye bye. Had beautiful imagery of a gorgeous white blue eyed wolf on first reading

I love this thread, please keep posting suggestions :)

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    underweight? I wish! Sorry no offence to those trying to gain weight..xx
  • Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If you have trouble with mobility you can exercise using a big bouncy ball keeps weight off your legs. trying to lose weight before surgery. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you are on medication, I recommend using the Notes app to keep track of it all. Or you could keep a list on your computer or in a secure place. When flying, I use clear plastic bags and label them with his name to show airport security people. 
  • LindaButler1970
    Options
    For all those people who may live near Glynde Gap, St Leonards on Sea, I shall be fundraising at Tesco from 10 -12.30 for my local MS Group, all welcome and they offer advice and items to take away such as pens, advice leaflets etc.  :)
  • LindaButler1970
    Options
    Forgot to say its this Saturday 24th August 10 - 5 pm
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello @Sam_Scope Useful bit of information. Did not know my broadband provider has a unit for dealing with members of our community.

I am with SKY just signed a new deal got confused about what I was signing for.

Another E mail came on as it did saying cancelling the previous services I have with them.

Apparently this is a procedure they do so rang them and spoke to the accessibility unit they call it.

Helps those of our community. Have problems and issues with any thing broadband and advice, guidance.  On their products and services.

Just a thought might be worth asking your own broadband provider what they offer in the form of support.

Find it does help in these days of IT and lots of technical stuff. I am clueless about.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Keep yourself busy! This is my tip for anyone who is bored. Find a course or search for work or volunteer. 
  • Pete2
    Pete2 Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi all.......if you ever hire a car or its the first day of your brand new mobility car.......check the fuel gauge.   On most cars there is an arrow on either the left or the right of the fuel icon,  this arrow indicates on which side of your car the fuel cap is so you can fuel up your car.........not sure about electric vehicles though.....lol
  • juli
    juli Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    If like me you can longer manage to slice or peel fresh veggies (arthritic hands) then try these affordable alternatives from Morrisons because they are really very good. Morrisons own brand
    frozen chopped onions....frozen chopped peppers....and Taj frozen crushed garlic. They all taste lovely in diishes and you can't tell the difference.
    also I recomend the ready mashed potatoes...swede and chopped cabbage from home bargains.
    still getting your five a day without the pain of preparing them. Also can all be done quickly using a microwave.
    Enjoy!!
  • LindaButler1970
    Options
    I agree for the ready made mashed potatoes it fab, it not only saves you the endless task of peeling, it saves on washing up and tastes very good. Not more mashing required!
  • juli
    juli Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Options
    Hi Linda, in the stores I go to they are located at the front of the stores next to the fresh produce which saves a very slow journey around the entire store if you only want Veg.
  • thespiceman
    Options
    Hello every one some useful tips on the freezer.

I buy the following.  Butternut squash diced. Great instant soup from the freezer with a carton of Passata and vegetable bouillon.

Frozen Spinach good in Pasta sauces.  

Green Beans and Leeks. Good in soups, stews and ragu.

All good excellent frozen vegetables.

But muffins, bread buns. Instead of bread takes up less room. Wrap into tin foil.  Label from the freezer. To the toaster muffins, defrost and toast useful instant breakfast with scrambled eggs or poached eggs.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • jess_j_s
    jess_j_s Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Electric hot water bottle! It has a plug you put in the plug socket and attaches to a pre-filled hot water bottle. No need for using kettles or risking getting burnt, so useful! And it is completely safe and has been checked in relation to safety :)
  • Pritchard
    Pritchard Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    Options
    I've been gifted with better than average Psychological intelligence, although not my profession, just personal ideas/exercise developments.  I'm also an all round creative writer, Whose each day getting brighter. I also have a G.S.O.H.  And that's not just a rumour.  To look at this please feel free to visit the 'Poetry' and 'Emotion' sections of website index www.poetryemotion.org.uk  Here you will also see an important petition - everyone worldwide could get better through being successful.

The first Poem/Lyric I every wrote is still my best one, titled 'Love Joy And Delight' -

Your mind and emotion hold the key
    They're the things to set you free
    What er the day
    What er the night
    Fulfil yourself with love joy and delight

Sadness and worry
    Gets you nowhere at all
    Just up the wall
    What er the day
    What er the night
    Fulfil yourself with love joy and delight

With faith in the Lord