gp i need to change gps as i cant get to mine as i have no transport and no bus goes there — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

gp i need to change gps as i cant get to mine as i have no transport and no bus goes there

happyteresa
happyteresa Community member Posts: 9 Listener
other gps says im out of there boundary and cant accept me even though its the nearest 1 and on a bus route it says i need special permission from nhs  how do i get it 

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Have you spoken to the practice manager or senior partner of the surgery that’s more convenient for you? That’s always the best place to start.
  • happyteresa
    happyteresa Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    yes and she said because of the boundary  they dont take people from my village
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Try your local clinical commissioning group which the gps in your area all work for. They may be able to help you.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Ask the practice manager (at the practice you want to go to) who you need to contact and what their phone number is.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• underdiagnosed
    underdiagnosed Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hello. Have you checked with your current GP if there are any transport schemes in your local area to help you get to the surgery? I live in a semi rural area and there are a couple of schemes where you pay a volunteer driver mileage. I use a wheelchair and they will take me.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @happyteresa
    I found this info on the NHS website:

Patient choice of GP practices

Since 2015, all GP practices in England have been free to register new patients who live outside their practice boundary area.

This means you can register with a GP practice somewhere that's more convenient for you, such as a practice near your work or closer to your children's schools. This will give you greater choice and aims to improve the quality of access to GP services. Use the Services near you facility to find out what people say about a GP practice.

These arrangements are voluntary for GP practices. If the practice has no capacity at the time, or feels it is not clinically appropriate or practical for you to be registered so far away from home, they can still refuse registration. The practice should explain to you their reason for refusing your registration.

How to register with a GP practice further away

You may wish to join a GP near work or re-register with your old GP following a move. The new arrangements make this possible; however, there are a few things to consider:

• Research your options in the area you want to register with, so you choose a practice that is right for you.
    • Compare GP surgeries according to facilities, services or performance before you decide. Ask friends, relatives and others you trust for their thoughts and recommendations.
    • Contact the practice and ask if it is accepting registrations from out-of-area patients.
    • If the practice is accepting registrations, ask for a registration form.
    • The practice will decide, following a review of your completed registration form, whether to accept you as a regular patient or accept you without home visiting duties (if it is clinically appropriate and practical for you to be registered away from home).

Because of the greater distance to your home, the GP you register with is under no obligation to offer you a home visit. If you are not well enough to go to the practice yourself, then other arrangements will be made. NHS England (the body responsible for buying GP services) ensures there is access to a service either near your home or at home (if needed). When you register with a practice further away from home, you will be given information about what you should do in those circumstances.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness