sdp refund — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

sdp refund

rodm
rodm Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
After speaking with sdp department today , I'm aware that refunds have begun to be issued, just wondering if anyone has been contacted thus far in respect to refund , and if so , what the outcome has been, I look forward to hearing from you

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rodm and a warm welcome to the community!

I understand there will be a backlog with this, but I hope someone will be able to share their experiences with you :)
    Scope

• rodm
    Hi, @ chloe_scope , hey all , thought id get back to you with some news, after numerous phone calls and misinformation, yesterday I received this in my journal. Before you moved to Universal Credit you got extra money because you are severely disabled. You are still eligible for extra money. You’ll get an extra £120.00 for each full assessment period. This means we also owe you a lump sum of £2160.00 to cover the time since you moved to Universal Credit. How and when you’ll be paid We’ll pay the money into the bank account where you get your Universal Credit payments. You will be able to see the lump sum payment in your account approximately 3 working days from your Universal Credit Assessment Period date which is the(date of payment) So finally they have paid me , my SDP, however, I am aware of an ongoing case ,in which two claimants, are seeking sdp to be paid at £180 a month, for those already on lcwrag instead of the £120.00 offered by dwp, as this sits better with what was originally lost. We are still waiting to see the outcome , as of yet. Still, its nice to see the light at the end of a very dark tunnel.
  • jacksaaa
    jacksaaa Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Hi I’ve been contacted too I got the same rate backpay £120 a month from October last year, How do I know I’ve been paid the backpay at the correct rate as isn’t the a rate at £280 for single people?  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    jacksaaa said:
    Hi I’ve been contacted too I got the same rate backpay £120 a month from October last year, How do I know I’ve been paid the backpay at the correct rate as isn’t the a rate at £280 for single people?  
    If you're claiming LCWRA element in with your UC then at the moment DWP are only paying £120 per month for the loss of SDP single rate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I'm glad to hear they are finally paying something.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jacksaaa
    Will it show I get lcwra on my journal an I know I’m very pleased 
  • jacksaaa
    It says limited capability for work £126.11 
  • poppy123456
    That's LCW and not LCWRA. This means you should receive £285 extra and not £120.

See link and scroll down to schedule 2
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2019/1152/made
  • rodm
    @jacksaaa , I'm afraid poppy123456 is correct , the compensation issued , corresponds to your benefit entitlements. So if your single and get lcw It is £285 If your single and get lcwrag It Is £120 Couples can claim up to £405 Depending on circumstances.
  • rodm
    @poppy123456 , hallelujah!!! , at last some light, but I'm not sure its over yet?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Brilliant news @rodm
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you so much for taking the time to update us @rodm! That's amazing news about the back-payment, I hope the other parts of it don't take too long to get sorted!
    Scope

• Kazzy75
    Kazzy75 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was on esa but they changed me over in october cause chamge of circumstances and had to get rent paid i was on sdp im now on uc am i due a refund 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Kazzy75 and welcome to the community. :)
    It's hard for us to say for sure as it depends on your circumstances now. Were you still getting SDP when you first claimed UC? If you're still in receipt of PIP, there's no other adults living with you that don't claim PIP/DLA and no one claims Carer's Allowance for you, it is probable you are due the compensation and on-going payments. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kazzy75
    Kazzy75 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Me and my husband are on pip 
  • poppy123456
    Kazzy75 said:
    Me and my husband are on pip 
    Do either of you claim the carers element of UC or carers allowance for each other?
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi I moved across directly from ESA SG with SDP to UC Full Service in August 2017 due to moving home and am expecting the backdated payment plus extra amount soon. However, something occurred to me to make me doubt whether I will be entitled after all. I made a change on my journal on July 5 to the effect that I was inviting a friend/carer who usually only gives regular overnight care to stay while he looked for a permanent place to live. I knew enough to make sure he stayed on the sofa bed as ridiculous as it is it would possibly otherwise count as having moved in. As it turned out he only stayed until July 9 (he found somewhere quickly). I updated my journal on July 26 to say that he had left on July 9 and thought no more of it until today. Perhaps I should've updated the journal sooner but I hope the DWP won't try to use that as a reason not to pay. The reason it came to mind is those statistics that were published on September 2  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-severe-disability-premium-claims/universal-credit-and-severe-disability-premium-claims#contentsand how specific they are and how I called UC today asking why they would publish those before all of us had been paid. The lady agreed with me that it was a strange thing to do but that I would have to wait. Am I worrying for nothing?
  • poppy123456
    @5imply_Ted may i ask why you reported those changes? were you a couple at the time?

Did this person claim the carers element of UC for looking after you? or claim carers allowance at all?

I'm assuming you still claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?
  • 5imply_Ted
    5imply_Ted Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi @poppy123456 thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm just getting in a tiz over this unnecessarily. We were not a couple. He is one of a number of people who stay over when I need assistance with my condition. He claimed/claims no benefits at all. I, on the other hand, am on higher rate DLA care out of which I usually give him a little for his help. I reported it because there was a chance he might've needed to stay longer and at that point in time we were considering him moving in full time as a lodger to kill 2 birds but nothing came of it, he found a place after 4 days and continues to stay over sometimes as part of a regular overnight care team. I read the regulations you posted and started getting worried about Reg 2 (e) (i)
  • poppy123456
    Hi @poppy123456 thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm just getting in a tiz over this unnecessarily. We were not a couple. He is one of a number of people who stay over when I need assistance with my condition. He claimed/claims no benefits at all. I, on the other hand, am on higher rate DLA care out of which I usually give him a little for his help. I reported it because there was a chance he might've needed to stay longer and at that point in time we were considering him moving in full time as a lodger to kill 2 birds but nothing came of it, he found a place after 4 days and continues to stay over sometimes as part of a regular overnight care team. I read the regulations you posted and started getting worried about Reg 2 (e) (i)
    Whether or not that will go against you for the SDP backdated payments, i don't know sorry. Even though that person was only staying with you for a few days, you didn't report the changes until a few weeks later.

If it doesn't go against you, you'll receive £120 for each assessment period backdated and £120 for each future assessment period because you receive the LCWRA element.

Look out for a message on your journal. How long the process takes to contact everyone, is anyone's guess.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.