Social workers approval needed for a wet room? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social workers approval needed for a wet room?

JohnEmile
JohnEmile Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hello, Name's John and actually contacting here is a big step for me, need some advice on where to look/read.
A little about me:
Just coming to my weekly attendence by Psych nurses being downgraded to a lower lvl, not sure about this.
Have major mobility problems, Constant dizziness, moving too quick and I black out, Mri's coming up for that.
Extremley swollen lower legs, on water retetion tablets atm and x rays next month.
This bit really distresses me, Because of the mobility issues I can not use the bath or shower, so I have to sit on a stool in front of the sink and bathe myself with 3 face flannels etc. It gets the worst off, but within an hour or so I know I pong.
Social services are aware since early last year and I have been approved a social worker by phone test-thing, but so far...nothing.
My Housing people are ready for approval to fit a wetroom style something, but need the social workers approval, anything I can do about this?
Also Depression, anxiety, insomnia etc, the list goes on.

Again Hello.

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome!

Call the social worker. Ask for her permission. Have you applied for a DFG or not? I would look into that if the social worker can not help you. 
  • JohnEmile
    I am approved but still on waiting list to actually get one atm.
    The DFG lead to something I did not know, I will phone them later, Thank you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JohnEmile, how are you getting on with this?
    Scope

• JohnEmile
    edited August 2019
    Phoned them up, and was then told it was cancelled, panicked for a day or so , then was rang up and told it was a mistake, they were supposed to phone me, nothing yet, might phone on monday.

Had new psychiatrist, who after a quick visit told me I was being downgraded and because I'm doing so well, no visits at all, apart from her at three or four month sort of checks.

I am worried about this, my only visitor that I know is my sister, that due to her health cannot drive over most of the time, I think last time was april/may, apart from that all I had was my nurses, who were brilliant btw!

I have no friends here, no visitors and now it's a vow of silence time again I think this Lady DR., might be a bit wrong.

Contacting MHA again tomorrow, we will see, Till then it's just me and my cat
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @JohnEmile, I hope you have managed to get a bit further with this and I apologise for the delay in getting back to you!
    Scope

• JohnEmile
    No problem, think so, saw Dr on Monday he said he was going to have a word with them.
    So it's fingers crossed...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Amazing, fingers crossed!
    Scope

• JohnEmile
    Finally got an OT, but it's a little underwhelming with what is offered as help.
    Pros so far: Has a raised framed seat/thing for  the Lav. which is huge, awkward to sit on doen'thave a lid, it's ok but where am I going to get the seat attached bidet thing we talked about fitted? and no lid is just Yukky to me, trivial I know.

Also, for added mobility a got a walking frame with two wheels on it, again, yeah it's helpful, I'll probably be able to make it to bins and back, but that is it.

Lastly for bathing, a bath board, plastic..umm board that goes across bath that you sit on, and if I get more bars fitted to wall will probably..er..help.

Asked about walk inbath etc, told they are not recommended and only available by a direct appeal backed up by doctors etc.
    And that the result would probably be a flat floor shower thats small and possibly a chair.

After probing a bit more was told about a bath lift, wall fixed, didn't mention it as most people don't like them, have to have a test go on one first, then may take upto a year to be installed , Replied: Right ,book the test, looked them up on net, seem fine, depending on which one of course, we will see.

Asked about Mobility as in Scooter etc, was told You have to do that, thats what your PIP's for, ok, found one I think will suit for my weight, hills, terrain etc. quite a low price £1600, but I would of course have to lease it, but again the Dutch style trycycleI found does exactly the same but better, especially in the carrying of shopping etc and visibility to others scales, and you even when using the electric, have to gently pedal it, so your legs still get some exercise!, and if the battery runs out, pedal it slowly in low gear, on the mobility scooter if it runs out, just sit there!  oh well.

Thats just initial stuff, atm I'm scouring to see what other info I can find, like exercise plans or help/ diet plans/ finance plans as I'm thinking of maybe trying to get a loan for the trycycle or something, not hopeful on that though.

Any advice or tips appreciated.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JohnEmile Hmm been there with the raised toilet seat following a fractured hip; think I was as underwhelmed as yourself!

I don't think I'd consider a bath board either. I don't know your mobility needs, but am hoping this site may be helpful as I've bought from them before, for example: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathing-aids/electric-bath-lifts/

Please look around the site as they also supply the NHS & Local Authorities, which might be something to mention to your OT if you see anything you feel might be helpful.

completecareshop also do mobility scooters: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/mobility-scooters/

With any item on this site you don't have to pay VAT if you simply declare you're disabled. Hope there's something that might possibly help you.

• JohnEmile
    Thank you, that is helpful and I'll bookmark it :)

The thing that gets me about that seat, when i do manage to get on it, my feet dangle about 3inches off the floor, I did have as good a look as an at he legs and stuff, but if you alter them any lower it simply won't fit on the bowl, oh well.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For the toilet i'd advise you to ask for a frame rather than the raised seat. I was offered the seat years ago but said no thanks. For me the frame works much better because you can hold the frame when standing up and you can still put the lid down. An OT will provide this for free.  See link

You could also look at the electric bath seat that sits in the bath, no fitting needed. I've used one of those in the past and found them useful. The only issue i found with them is that i couldn't lie down in the bath but it helped to get in and out. A bath for me helps with my pain because of the hot water, so i mostly use the bath, rather than the shower.

Bath boards, i have to agree are a total waste of time. I didn't find that useful at all.

Mobility scooter, i'm afraid they are correct, that's what your PIP is for.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JohnEmile
    Was looking at frames and I agree.

The wall mounted strap/lift thing one looks ok but will have to see.

Yes I also agree on the ease of pain from the bath, so I will be retaining that.

I'm thinking of trying to put a link or image of chosen scooter and the trycycle so people can see what I'm on about, is this allowed?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @JohnEmile, thank you for updating us about this. I imagine it was quite an odd appointment! 

I hope the advice given by other members has been beneficial. I too have a bath board and I'm not a fan as I find it hard to balance on in the first place! Especially if it is wet. 

I appreciate that a change to your support will take some time to get used to, how are are you doing at the moment?
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    An image or link of the scooter will be fine here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JohnEmile
    Not too bad, legs still swollen and painful, been referred to a local lymph clinic who are organising appointments for me and ,thankfully, transport, it just seems sometimes that whenever I manage one step forward, it's two steps back. So I'm taking the health thing seriously, exercise/diet/organising house updates, I will lose this weight and walk again, I'm not accepting a no from my body!
    In a year I want to be back to 75kg 5'11 brick outhouse self, and am planning a reward of a suit, a decent haircut,(rather than just me with trimmers), and a decent pair of shoes to take the odd trundle about in :)

You can get options for various bits, hillclimbing etc.

I would be happier with this tbh, but may have to get the scooter for financial reasons.

Brightness