Stranded on a train — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stranded on a train

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
A gold medal winning Paralympian was left in tears after she became stuck on a train when there was no guard to help her off.

"Without the help I probably would've ended up in Portsmouth at the end of the line because there is no real way for me to block the door to stop the train from moving."

What accessibility issues have you found using rail travel?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Did she not book assistance? I have done this a few times and the staff have been great
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I was stranded at a foreign airport about a year ago now. I had my son with me. It was hard trying to reschedule our missed flight and request assistance too. My tip would be to book assistance asap. Don’t take no for a answer but don’t be rude either. Compared to flying, I find train travel a bit easier. 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Booking assistance is not guarantee that they will actually turn up...unfortunately.  Usually it works; but not always.  Also it is not always possible to do so depending on your travel plans.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    I would get very tense also people with mental and physical disabilities are vulnerable and other passengers on the train can potentially take advantage of them when they are alone. I hate bus and train travel and coach and have never flown as the queues and bustle of the airport would be way too much for me 
  • lizzyW11
    lizzyW11 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    She did book she did book Assistance but it did not come. She is a regular train user. 
    Stories like this stops me going into London. I’m going to try with my mum next week but on a bus 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    lizzyW11 said:
    She did book she did book Assistance but it did not come. She is a regular train user. 
    Stories like this stops me going into London. I’m going to try with my mum next week but on a bus 
    Hope it goes well and you have a great trip out. x

Brightness