Disclosing Disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disclosing Disability

Options
the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
I've recently started applying for new jobs and have a quick question. Do you legally have to disclose a disability to Occupational Health? 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No that is up to you. I did not tell my employer I was dyscalculic at first. Even if you have autism or DS, the decision should be left up to you. But I strongly recommend you telling at least one person who will understand. Good luck! 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If when filling in the employers application form if there is no direct questions asking you about your health issues, problems ect. Then I would say no. But the application form may have a space for adding additional information about your self so here you should give details about your abilities reference to your illnesses or disability, I’m a wheel chair user, hearing problems bladder problems need to be close to toilets, need to physio throughout the day  10/ 15 minutes slots.being honest goes a long way. Plus can you find out about the companies, employers policy, workplace layout reference to wheel chair users.
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm concerned if I don't disclose my disability in an Occupational Health form, Could I get in to trouble for non disclosure when I actually start my job and people notice my ataxic gate pattern?  I've had a job offer with drawn by Occupational Health in the past so I'd rather not disclose my disability to them when I apply for new jobs.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @the_velvet_girl, this is completely your choice. But there are pros and cons to doing so. This also would depend on the job you have. For example, you'd have to disclose a visual impairment if you were going to be driving.

I hope the information below will be useful.

Please do let us know if there is anything else we can do and please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

Brightness