Have you ever been horse riding? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever been horse riding?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
For more than 50 years the therapeutic powers of horse riding have been well understood. But the pioneering woman who helped establish the Riding for the Disabled Association is virtually unknown. Stella Saywell, who was a physiotherapist, managed to convince consultants at Winford Orthopaedic Hospital for the disabled to try horse riding as a treatment with remarkable results. Her dream was to get a much larger centre and this came true when the centre was opened by Princess Anne in October 1984.
As Stella Saywell's celebrated this week, we're asking if you've ever been horse riding? Can you speak to the therapeutic benefits?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    oh yes...and never again!
    It was about 30 years ago. We were staying on a working farm caravan park....they had `mild` mannered horses for visitors to ride. I went of with my 2 daughters, plus a farm hand. My horse decided to bolt....I`ve never been so scared in my life!
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Ditto @pollyanna1052.  We were on a caravan park in Lincolnshire and my horse bolted when an RAF jet went overhead fast and low..  Coupled with the fact that my backside was never in sync with my saddle it's not an experience I'd choose to repeat! That was over 30 years ago and I still shudder to think about it.  Therapeutic benefits?   No.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    My daughter is 52 years old and has Scoliosis and Learning Disabilities.   She has been riding regularly with Riding for the Disabled since she was a teenager and she absolutely loves it.  They compete in local competitions and whenever she gets a rosette her sense of achievement and self worth is amazing.  At her local RDA they have a large number of children/adults with Autism and this has proved to be both beneficial and therapeutic for them.  Highly recommend RDA.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I went horse riding once. I spent an hour riding I had never ridden a horse before never again my bum was so sore for days afterwards!
  • himanshu5
    himanshu5 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yes, I did it once and that was the first time and did it never before.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Do RDA accept small children? My two year old son has SB and horseriding might help him. 
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Best way to go April would be to contact your nearest RDA and ask.  They do take very young children at our local RDA but don't know if they are all the same.
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    yes and yes. 

born blind i could not get the hang of walking. i couldnt see how others did it so at 3 i was tought to ride as id learn to balance and thus be able to walk. it worked and i grow up with a love of horses and great respect for them too. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for all your interesting responses everyone.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness