Help at home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help at home?

tori_r
tori_r Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi

Does anyone have any ideas of any other ways to get assistance at home with domestic tasks/gardening? 

We live in council accomodation but they won't provide assistance because my partner isn't disabled, but he works full time (on really awkward rotating shifts) to support the family as well as caring for me and my two children.

Likewise social services said they couldn't help because he helps with my care needs so I don't need carers and they don't provide assistance just for domestic/gardening. 

As lovely as it would be to pay out ourselves bfor gardening and a cleaner it's not feasible on ourincome to cover the full cost of it

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you afford to hire a housekeeper or not? I pay someone to come clean my apartment once a fortnight.
    She also takes care of the ironing and laundry. Additionally I hired a childcare provider to babysit my kids whilst I am working. One family I know of interviewed and hired someone to mow their lawn and see to general property maintenance tasks too.
    Work out what you can afford. Go from there. If social services cannot help you you should look at other options to get domestic help. Do you have any friends who can recommend someone who can help you around the house or not? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Domestic tasks/gardening is not something social services help with i'm afraid. This would be something that you would have to pay for yourself.

Do you claim PIP or DLA? this is paid to help with the extra cost of being disabled. I pay someone to do my ironing once a week from my PIP money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Please let us know how get on with this. I'm all ears
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tori_r and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the suggestions from the members are useful. If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask!
    Scope

• Gary01522
    Gary01522 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    We have a cleaner once a week paid for but supplied from Age UK also a Gardener as often as needed also paid for.
          We use a private ironing service. paid out of Pip
    we got medium allowance for PIP
    Good  Luck.
    From what I have read here PIP scares the hell out of me.
      I know we should have scored higher for personal care.
    but the way they Lie I am scared they would score us less.
    It seems its not what you should score or deserve. but how much they twist or lie.
  • needavan
    needavan Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    There are voluntary organisations that may be able to help,  Social Services should have told you, ours is the council for voluntary services, they provide all sorts of help sitting service, gardening, diy, help shopping, travel to see G.P. hospital etc. Ask the council or the library, someone should be able to tell you. I think it's free but they may ask for a donation.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @needavan and thank you for your advice! Is there anything we can do to help you?
    Scope

Brightness