Awaiting a decision - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting a decision

Comments

• Hippychick
    Hippychick Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Worried33, yep, that’s exactly it. All these weeks I’ve been going through anxiety, depression, my bipolar has been more up and down than usual despite going onto an additional anti anxiety med, and now they’re making me wait for another possible 6 weeks ? xx
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    cristobal said:
    @worried33 I agree.

When I last worked I dealt with a lot of letters from MPs - those that fell into the "can you hurry it up bit?" category generally went to the bottom of the 'In-tray' as I had better things to be getting on with. It took DWP nearly eight weeks to reply to a letter from my MP so they may have a similar system!!
    I’d agree with this.

I have seen a lot of letters / emails from claimants to MP’s and normally they seem to just be forward to a special DWP email reserved for this sort of this. Nothing seems to be do any quicker?
    Its quicker.  On rightsnet e.g. its was revealed on the EDP back payments, there was a special priority queue for people considered vulnerable, and both rightsnet advisors and MPs had access to add people to this priority queue.  I was even added to this queue after I contacted my MP.

Of course nothing is 100%, I am not saying every single time someone contacts a MP things are going to move quicker, it will depend on the MP, as some are not sympathetic, and it will also depend on the circumstances, I think someone going to their MP when they have been waiting a few days vs someone waiting for 3 months is not going to get the same result.  Also if you write to your MP it may take a couple of weeks to even get anything actioned, whilst going into the MP surgery for a face to face has a chance they will ring the DWP the same day.

It is a bit like if you contact the CEO of a company, 90% of the time they will do something that your typical customer support person cannot do, as the low level staff dont have the power to do what the CEO (and the CEO's team) can do.

There is evidence all over the net MPs can get very productive results and I have my own first hand experience as well.  I can understand trying to discourage people from using their MPs tho as what we dont want is every single person going to their MP and just flooding that support channel, but at the same time I dont think its a channel that people should be told to never use, as a citizen its a channel people have the right to use.

In the old days of housing benefit when it was routine to be waiting 6-12 months for money, I would routinely wait 2 months, then contact my MP who would make it all happen within a week.  Everything has a priority system.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree that local MPs can be helpful depending on the situation. When i first applied for SDP in 2013 (before the time you could apply over the phone) i returned 3 forms back to DWP and every time they kept telling me they weren't received. This carried on for almost 2 months and they already owed me 11 months backdated money.

I contacted my local MP and less than 24 hours later i had a phone call from DWP asking me a few very quick questions and was told over the phone the SDP was awarded. 4 days later i had a large sum of money into my bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hippychick
    Thanks guys  ?? I’m gonna give it another few days, then go to my gp first, see if she can buck things up, I’m sure she will try at least. Then if I still hear nothing (very likely) I will contact my local mp, although he’s a bit of an idiot, but maybe he can do something!! But Poppy123456, that’s brilliant that you got sorted, it’s just so stressful and annoying that you have to put a rocket up the bottom of the dwp decision maker to get anything done!! Xx
  • poppy123456
    In your case i'm really not sure what your local MP can do. Yes, i completely agree it's very stressful and stress does make our conditions much worse but the report was returned a few times because there was obviously errors that the DM picked up on. If they weren't noticed the report could have been full on contradictions etc. I'm not saying you'll be awarded because no one can speculate that but of course it's possible.

Timescales are just a guide and nothing more, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. The only thing i can advise you to do at this point is request a copy of the report, as previously advised.

Of course see your GP too who maybe able to help with your anxiety.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    Hippychick said:
    Worried33, yep, that’s exactly it. All these weeks I’ve been going through anxiety, depression, my bipolar has been more up and down than usual despite going onto an additional anti anxiety med, and now they’re making me wait for another possible 6 weeks ? xx
    I would give your MP a shot, as personally I think you been expected to wait 6 weeks at this stage when the report is ready to be looked at is nonsense, you should be at the top of the pile.  If you can manage it visit the MP surgery or ring them rather than a letter or the "theyworkforyou" website, as it will be quicker.
  • Hippychick
    Thanks so much, I’ll give it till Monday, and if nothing arrives then I’ll be straight onto my MP, I’m going to look up his contact details now so that I’ll be ready to contact him as soon as the post arrives! And the only reason I haven’t requested a copy of the report thus far is because I know I’ll end up catastrophising about it at this stage. Obviously if I get turned down or get less money than I’m on now, then I will require a copy to use in the appeals process xx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hello @Hippychick   Please can I make a suggestion . If your mental health is causing concern.

Then I would advise speak to your GP or just if I can please contact the links I provided for you in previous posts.

This one https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

I suggested this because they are not only there to maintain and look at your wellbeing.

Also can intervene in situations you are going through right now .  Be supportive can offer a lot of guidance.

Do and can be beneficial at times like this.

I also if I can add if you have contacted them and they are not in your area I am sorry.

I would still speak to your GP for referring you to some one who can help and advise your mental health wellbeing.

No one wants to admit there having problems or issues but there is help and support out there.

Look on line to see what there is.  In your area.  MIND might be answer.  

If you experiencing difficulties or coping day to day.  This is a stressful experience you are going through.

I do understand the situation with the benefits as I have being doing this a long time.

All I know glad of support from those who helped me whether in mental health charities or my support team I have had.  Especially assessments, form filling in and signposting to those who can be supportive.

With the floating support in attendance.

Please can I ask do you have a support team. If you do they should be advising you, be supportive, helping you as they should with this situation.

That is there role.  I do understand with anxiety sometimes asking for some support.  I have been their still am.  Please write down what you need to say.

If you have a support team please need this . Please can you help.

I know it is difficult. They should be aware of your situation.

Some one to talk to help me with forms and anything else I can do with.

If there not willing then you have to be strong and have courage ask why not.  Even make a complaint. I had to several times no one wishes to but if the care and support team not being there to give you some guidance.

If it is not working for you. You have to make that choice find some organisations who will.

I had to many times.

I wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hippychick, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I can't imagine how frustrating it has been to wait so long, but like people have said, it's better to have an accurate report!
    Scope

• Hippychick
    Thank you Chloe_Scope, and I’ve just rang them- I’ve been awarded standard daily living PIP, but not mobility. So can I still challenge the decision? Xx
  • poppy123456
    Thank you Chloe_Scope, and I’ve just rang them- I’ve been awarded standard daily living PIP, but not mobility. So can I still challenge the decision? Xx
    Yes, you can request the MR within 1 month of the date of the decision but do be aware they look at the whole decision again and not just part of it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited September 2019
    @Hippychick I've been waiting 19 weeks, the report was full of discrepancies, I didn't think the DM would dispute anything because of the amount of people that say the DM usually goes with the assessor however.. when my Son called on Monday to see what was happening he was told that the DM is disputing something in the report and has asked my GP twice for further info and my GP has yet to get back to him, hence me waiting for so long, so I've ended up contacting the practice manager about it who has said another person is looking into it.

Yes you can do an MR if you are not happy with the decision. 
  • Hippychick
    @poppy123456 does that mean I might lose my daily living award? ? xx
  • Hippychick
    @WF2k that’s awful for you l!!! The waiting is awful I know!!! Sorry if I sound daft, but what does DM stand for? X
  • poppy123456
    @poppy123456 does that mean I might lose my daily living award? ? xx
      MR decisions can either remove the award completely, award more points for a higher award or remain the same, most remain the same but no one can tell you for sure what might happen because no one knows how your conditions affect you on a forum.

DM = decision maker.
  • Hippychick
    @poppy123456 thanks, and  I’ll have to think about it for a day or two, thank you guys for all your help, I’ll let you know what happens xx
  • worried33
    Yeah I suspected you werent actually put to the bottom as that would have been nonsense.  I guess the guy on the phone who told you that was just quoting you a worst case scenario.
  • Hippychick
    OMG I have just received my letter from DWP confirming the amount of pip I can get, and there’s a copy of the report, and it’s packed with lies!!!!! So many things that I told the nasty little beast and she’s reported that I gave different answers than I did!!! I can’t believe it, I’m shaking with anger at the moment!!! 
  • poppy123456
    If you do decide to request the MR then you'll need to put this in writing within 1 month of the date of the decision.

You need to concentrate on where you think you should have score those points and your reasons why. Adding 2/3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Despite the lies/contradictions in the report you should avoid mentioning those in the MR request, DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. Any complaints should be made to the health assessment providers.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll very likely have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.

• Hippychick
    Thank you @poppy123456, looking at the reports on both parts of the assessment report, the assessor has completely contradicted herself on a couple of points saying I couldn’t do the activity on the daily living part, then saying I COULD do something similar on the mobility part. Plus my crippling anxiety wasn’t even mentioned!! I can’t understand how the DM didn’t pick up on these points!!! I’m going to make an appointment with my gp on Monday and see if she can write me a letter outlining my conditions that I can send as evidence with my letter for MR xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.